News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Reger 101

Started by Glazier, Thursday 29 April 2010, 01:04

Previous topic - Next topic

albion

For a composer popularly perceived as 'dry' and 'academic', I never fail to wonder at the sheer beauty of Reger's The Hermit Plays the Violin, the first of his Four Tone Poems after Arnold Böcklin, Op.128 (1913)

:)

or as it sometimes, and somewhat less enticingly, titled The Fiddling Hermit ...

:o

I have worked through the Berlin Classics box several times now and (together with several of the Mozart Variations) this single piece really does stand out as something very special. I find that Reger usually commands my respect and admiration but this single movement goes straight to the heart.

As more recently-joined members may not have come across this thread before, I'd be interested to read any further views on this composer.

???

chill319

I once had the privilege of sitting onstage a few feet from Serkin as he performed Reger's opus 81. His was a well-nigh Dionysian, total-immersion performance of the work, and ever since I've understood that Reger can bring that out in the right musician.

Alan Howe

Try the utterly gorgeous extracts from Reger's two violin Romances on the forthcoming Hyperion CD containing the VC...
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67892

Christopher

Quote from: chill319 on Monday 05 December 2011, 22:11
I once had the privilege of sitting onstage a few feet from Serkin as he performed Reger's opus 81. His was a well-nigh Dionysian, total-immersion performance of the work, and ever since I've understood that Reger can bring that out in the right musician.

and does the opus 81...have a name?

petershott@btinternet.com

Come, come! The Variations & Fugue on a Theme of Bach.

eschiss1

Used to have a recording (less known pianist - David Levine (1949-93, I think? hrm, did not know he had died - of AIDS according to de-Wikipedia :(. )) of that and the opus 134 (the Telemann Variations).  The Bach variations are the finer work but I like both (though overall I prefer his chamber works for two to six instruments )

kb

For the admirers of the "lyrical Reger" I would recommend:
-Lyrisches Andante (Liebestraum).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usZ32rwEMQs

eschiss1

same recording as once available with Schoeck's cello concerto on Claves, I wonder? (another fine piece and a well-chosen coupling, I think)