Rufinatscha - booklet notes verschollen

Started by Marcus, Friday 30 April 2010, 22:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus

I have just received the Rufinatscha discs,( Symphonies & quartets), and am working my way through them.
I was annoyed to discover that the booklet notes are all in German. OK - no great deal - I have some translating to do, but  I have been spoilt by booklets which are usually in three or four languages.
I have penned a letter of complaint to Herr Bauernfanger, but I know that it will probably end up in the" verschollen" box.
I also have the symphonies by Netzer,Pembaur, Nagiller & Gansbacher from the same source . Rufinatscha has had plenty of coverage in this forum, but does anyone have an opinion of any of the other works ? I haven't heard a note of them yet. The Netzer string quartets were tempting, but I'll wait to hear the symphonies before spending  more money.
Marcus.

Peter1953

Hi Marcus,
I don't know what you already have, but I'm sure that you'll be completely amazed and astonished by Rufinatscha's overwhelming Symphonies 5 & 6. These great masterpieces don't disappoint you for a second. But in fact, I love all Rufinatscha's music. His piano works and chamber music are very worthwile as well. You will read a lot of enthusiasm in other threads.
Yes, the booklet notes are in German. I don't understand why the Austrians never made an English translation. The sales department of the Museum doesn't show an international commercial attitude. On the other hand, I'm very pleased that customers worldwide can order Rufinatscha's marvellous music.

Marcus

Thanks Peter,
I have the Symphonies 1,2,5,6 , (orchestral),the Piano Concerto, the String quartets & Piano quartets. I haven't bothered with the Symphony 4 piano reduction, but depending on my level of enthusiasm & favourable bank statement, I may be tempted.
I originally intended only to order the Rufinatscha, (thanks to the strong recommendations from this forum), but when I saw the other composers in the catalogue, I decided that some of Rufinatscha's magic must surely have rubbed off on his compatriots. I will test my theory over the next few weeks, but regardless, I thank this forum for introducing me to Rufinatscha if nothing else. I love what I have heard so far.
Cheers!
Marcus.

Alan Howe

You will find plenty to enjoy in the other composers, but Rufinatscha is simply an undiscovered great, which the others aren't, attractive though their music is. I frequently play Netzer's 4th Symphony, Nagiller's Symphony and Pembaur's in Tirol Symphony/Cello Concerto - and feel that I have been listening to some thoroughly worthwhile music. But, as Peter1953 says, nothing approaches the masterpieces of Rufinatscha.

Hovite

Quote from: Marcus on Friday 30 April 2010, 22:16I also have the symphonies by Netzer, Pembaur, Nagiller & Gansbacher from the same source . Rufinatscha has had plenty of coverage in this forum, but does anyone have an opinion of any of the other works ? I haven't heard a note of them yet.

Gänsbacher's symphony sounds like Beethoven, except for the Finale, which could have been written by Rossini as an operatic overture. The Scherzo is perhaps too repetitive.

The Symphony No. 1 of Nagiller was apparently well received during his lifetime, but I do not find it entirely convincing. A strong Allegro first movement is followed by a weak Andante.  The Scherzo and Finale are both rather repetitive. The sound is full bloodied romantic, but content is late classical. It is as if a Mozart symphony had been orchestrated by Bruckner. The themes are distinctly Austrian, often suggesting a Strauss waltz.

Pembaur's symphony is very jolly, with a few hints of Bruckner (especially in the Andante). The sound is late romantic, but the content is post modern. This frivolous symphony could prove popular if it were included in a Sunday afternoon concert.

Alan Howe

<<Pembaur's symphony is very jolly, with a few hints of Bruckner (especially in the Andante). The sound is late romantic, but the content is post modern...>>

No, the sound is late Romantic, and the content is an attempt to convey impressions of Tyrolean life in that style. Very typically Romantic, in fact: it is quite clearly a form of musical nationalism. Nothing post-modern about that at all...

JimL

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 12 September 2010, 09:55
<<Pembaur's symphony is very jolly, with a few hints of Bruckner (especially in the Andante). The sound is late romantic, but the content is post modern...>>

No, the sound is late Romantic, and the content is an attempt to convey impressions of Tyrolean life in that style. Very typically Romantic, in fact: it is quite clearly a form of musical nationalism. Nothing post-modern about that at all...
Very aptly put.  I'm sure he made a mistake.  I'm not even sure the language qualifies as "Post-Romantic", as Reger, Mahler, R. Strauss and Bruckner are labeled.  However, I do find Pembaur worthy of revival, if not as spectacularly as Rufinatscha.

jerfilm

I'm anxious to hear some of these unsung composers, but I went to Tiroler Landesmuseens website and I guess my German is way too limited.  And I don't see an English translation.  Anyone have any helpful hints about finding things there and ordering, etc.?  Thanks.

Jerry

Alan Howe

Hovite

Quote from: Alan Howe on Saturday 01 May 2010, 10:04I frequently play Netzer's 4th Symphony

I have now heard all four of Netzer's symphonies. They fall somewhere between Schubert and Bruckner, but closer to Schubert, though less inspired. I found No. 1 disappointing, but No. 4, on the same disc, is a little gem. Symphonies 3 & 2 occupy another disc. There is nothing wrong with these symphonies, and they are not without points of interest, but they lack greatness. The 2nd, in particular, seems curiously light weight, especially the Finale.