News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Zöllner

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 19 November 2013, 18:54

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Giles.ender's mention of Carli Zoeller reminds me of three, not all related, I think, composers who spanned a few generations, from Haydn to the late Romantic/mid-Modern era-
Carl Heinrich Zöllner (1792-1836) (friend of Haydn as a young man, I think? even though he would have been very young when Haydn died, he was still the dedicatee of some Haydn works- that, or another member of his family with the same initials was. Hrm. :) RISM lists this but doesn't really clarify- but then, RISM-online lists works clearly by an 18/early 19th century Zöllner, probably this one, as by the 3rd of these...) Lots of liturgical and organ music from this one, I think...
Carl Friedrich Zöllner (1800-1860), composer, father of...
Heinrich Zöllner, (1854-1941), composer of 5 symphonies (Opp.20,100,130, 2 without opus?), chamber music (5 string quartets?), choral works, 10 operas, some 145-plus? published opus numbers (some of which have been republished recently, e.g. his strings-and-flute serenade op.95). We mostly have materials from a few of his operas at IMSLP, though, and one patriotic song from WW 1.
(German and English Wikipedia articles on at least two of these.)
Don't know much about their music beyond those excerpts from Heinrich Zöllner's music, but will try to add to this soon. Don't know if any of it's been recorded, either - ah, there's an excerpt from his most famous opera played on piano roll, from "Die versunkene Glocke" (1899), on a 2009 Tacet CD. (Another CD has, among much else, a performance of one of Carl Friedrich Zöllner's Trinklieder, op. 93 published? composed? 1837.)