News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Great Unsung Tone Poems

Started by LateRomantic75, Saturday 30 November 2013, 21:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauk

When did you last hear a recent broadcast work by a major contemporary composer subtitled "tone poem"? It's the same with concertos - it seems no-one writes a piece called "Violin Concerto No 1" any more - it gets called "Fractured Night" or something of that kind instead.

Alan Howe

True. Nowadays composers can give any piece they write any title they like. The days of (easy) categorisation are long gone - except in the case of certain composers who consciously write with an awareness of the historical tradition in which they stand.

eschiss1

I think I've almost never heard a broadcast premiere of a piece called Violin Concerto No.1. It's usually titled Violin Concerto - when it's _premiered_ - unless Violin Concerto No.2 already exists. Sometimes the "No.1" never gets added (Benjamin Frankel's "Symphony No.1" is still titled "Symphony" on its published score, despite its 7 successors.) As to major contemporary composers, define please. I didn't hear their premieres as is part of your condition (I think I did that of Blackwood's 5th symphony, but that's a bit offtopic), but I gather Pehr Nordgren wrote 4 violin concertos, Hans Werner Henze 3 (is he major enough?) (with Violin Concerto the main titles, though at least two of them had subtitles, if I recall), Vagn Holmboe had 3 - for starters...

Alan Howe

I think we're talking about composers active today.

eschiss1

Hrm. Maxwell Davies Violin Concerto No.2 (has a subtitle, yes, premiered 2008); Yasuhide Ito: "Gloriosa : symphonic poem for orchestra" (also? for wind symphony, premiered ca.1996, pub.2007); Poème symphonique n° 6 : "Espaces-Fragmentations : pour orchestre : opus 87 : 2011 by Lebanese composer Bechara el-Khoury (*1957) (and 5 preceding and perhaps more since); etc.-- and quite a whole lot of "symphonies"/"sinfonien" etc etc etc. relatively. Not a ton compared to the 19th century, but didn't expect there to be.

Alan Howe

Oh, they're still around.
Anyway, back to the topic in hand...

alan850627

I'm sure someone else has mentioned this already, but I absolutely love William S. Lloyd Webber's Tone Poem "Aurora" (1948). I like the warm harmonies and the sweeping melodies in this short, but beautiful tone poem.

I'm not sure if this is a proper place to ask this, but I bought the full score from Decorum Books through AbeBooks almost a year ago; since then, I have been trying to decipher and identify what looks to be a signature on the front cover to no avail, so I thought I could ask here.

Images here: http://imgur.com/a/pb0Ek. The signature is located on the top right corner of the cover page, and it seems to be written using a marker(?) The only thing I can decipher is 1970, assuming it's a date - which is interesting because the first known performance/recording of this piece is made in 1986. Anyone has any ideas on what the signature might represent?

sdtom

Just got the opportunity (making spine labels) to revisit Vox Maris.

Aramiarz

Please, don't forget "Oithona ", the first mexican symphonic poem!

Aramiarz