The Raff Symphonies: which one is your favourite and why?

Started by Peter1953, Tuesday 19 May 2009, 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Quotethe Japanese performance

Hmmm. Not great. Rather scrappy.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

I don't think it adds anything - unfortunately. It's just not well enough played.

NickB

I enjoy them all immensely haha. He was such a genius. And what's with the ridiculous verification for a post?

Mark Thomas

The verification only applies to your first couple of posts. It's part of our anti-spam defences, something which benefits the whole community here.

Alan Howe

Quotethe ridiculous verification for a post

It generally stops all sorts of ridiculous people posting ridiculous and sometimes offensive statements. This is something up with which we will not put (to quote a phrase).

Joachim Raff

Hello all,
Its like asking which is your favourite child. Saying that, alot of parents seems to to be drawn to their youngest. So I would say my favourite is the last.

eschiss1

Yes, but which one is your last :D ? No.10, I assume, despite the misleading publication of the slightly earlier no.11 with a later number? Or? (Of course if your early discarded (partly reused in the suite in C major) symphony in E minor is ever re-discovered, we'll just have to add "1" to all the numbers...)*

*Or just call it symphony no.0, Brucknerische...

adriano

Here some pictures inspired by Bürger's ballad "Lenore" - some of which may have inspired Raff to compose his Symphony, César Franck to compose his symphonic poem "Chasseur Maudit" and Henri Duparc his symphonic poem "Lénore".

https://eclecticlight.co/2018/09/30/the-dead-travel-fast-the-gothic-ballad-of-lenore-in-paint/

Jonathan

Sorry, I thought Franck's Le Chasseur Maudit was inspired by Berger's Der Wilde Jager? (Sorry for the off topic comment)

adriano

You are perfectly right, Jonathan, sorry!
(My long message was written at about 04:00 hrs. in the morning, during a sleepless monlight night :-)

To make it good, I add three more musical versions of "Lenore":

Franz Liszt: "Lenore" (Melodram, 1857)
https://imslp.org/wiki/Lenore,_S.346_(Liszt,_Franz)

Antonio Smareglia: "Leonora, Sinfonia descrittiva" (1876). His opera "Nozze Istriane" has been recorded by Bongiovanni (see a previous short thread of 2015).

And, last but not least - a recording from my collection which I had totally forgotten:
Anton Reicha: "Lenore, Grand musical tableau for soli, chorus and orchestra" (very recommendable; there once was a version on Orfeo; the more recent one is a superb Supraphon CD.

eschiss1

I'm guessing Lenore inspired Klughardt's 2nd symphony, too?

adriano

Definitely, eschiss1 - thanks :-)
My memory is definitely falling...

Justin

Quote from: vesteel on Monday 02 December 2019, 12:11
Is anyone familiar of this live performance of it by a Japanese Orchestra? https://youtu.be/Jl6GdVS6bkM)

It isn't terrible, but the ensemble doesn't sound all together. For example, bad notes made by the brass at 18:50. Technically sounds like each musician recorded their part alone in a studio and then someone put them all together.

Alan Howe

Let's forget that performance. It does Raff no favours at all.