The Raff Symphonies: which one is your favourite and why?

Started by Peter1953, Tuesday 19 May 2009, 17:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

Being a mac owner, I never experienced a similar problem. (combination Firefox/iTunes).

DennisS

thanks Mark for your reply re- my difficulty streaming certain extracts on the Raff site. The problem seemed to arise only on certain works(newer entries?) and I have listened to a large number of extracts merely by clicking on the icon. As I now know what to do, it's no longer a problem as such. I note that Ilya says it's not a Mac problem. I use a Dell computer.

By the way, I would still like to have your thoughts on Erkki Melartin, especially his violin concerto.

Regards
Dennis

Mark Thomas

Peter1953

I have just listened again to Raff's less beloved 6th. Definitely an attractive and interesting symphony to listen to, and I simply love it. Maybe not as good as most of his other symphonies, but that is partly due to the last movement, I guess.
This symphony raises a question, which I like to discuss in a seperate topic.

Alan Howe

The 6th is one of my guilty pleasures. I particularly love the first movement coda - exciting, or what?

Wieland

Oops, for seven years no one wrote something here. Today, I listened again to the "In Summer" symphony of Joachim Raff and its seems to become my favourite symphony of his along the "Lenore". It is such a wonderful symphony and the main theme of the 1st movement is one of those melodies that will stay in my mind for days. I listened to the Stadlmair recording today and I have to check soon whether I prefer this one or the Albert on cpo.

adriano

@Lew Lewis (who, unfortunately, posted as a guest only).

I am intrigued about what you write, since I have no idea anymore who you are (sorry) :-(

As posted in earlier Raff chapters, there are quite a few of his Symphonies or Symphony movements which I find a bit boring and superficial, but excellently orchestrated and perfectly constructed. I miss in Raff the sparkle and tightness of a Mendelssohn or the dephth of a Schumann - nevertheless, if perfomed/interperted well, Raff can be "sold" - and we Swiss should be proud of him. I find his Grand Quintuor for piano and string quartet much better than some of his Symphonies or his great (and "Great") piano trios...

"Leonore" remains my favorite: in there, Raff almost breaks the mould...

Wieland

Hi Adriano
nice to also meet you here. We recently had some exchange on your Brun series on another forum.
Best regards
Lutz from Stuttgart

Alan Howe

A quick reminder, if I may: personal messages are best sent via UC's PM facility.

Wieland

You may, I did not realize this forum has this function, nice :)

adriano

I know, Alan, but he is a guest and there is no possibility to send a personal message

Alan Howe

adriano

And how can I know this? I just answered his old posting of June 2009, where he wrote as a guest. Is there a complete member list somewhere?

Wieland

Alan Howe

Apologies, Adriano. Obviously I have this information as Administrator.