Bronsart Piano Concerto

Started by jameswesthead, Friday 06 December 2013, 18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

Quote from: giles.enders on Sunday 08 December 2013, 14:17
Surely Hamelin played the Rubinstein as Rubinstein might have played it. 

I highly doubt that. Hamelin is clinical, exact & note perfect, but somehow dry, uninteresting and banal in the extreme.

He should be kept away from works like the Bronsart that require individuality & the ability to read in between the lines and play that what is not written.

Thal

FBerwald

With all due respect Alan I mentioned Hamelin with respect to Romantic repertoire. This purely a personal opinion but nevertheless I don't consider Hamelin to be one of the greats. His Runbinstein left me cold. Listen to the Banowetz's version.... even with the substandard Piano he plays on, he makes a very convincing statement... or Oleg Marshev's version. I feel :) these are better than the Hamelin... (apologies Hamelin fan!). Again this is specific to romantic concertos. His solo piano music (romantic or modern), I am sure, is amazing! although I am not a Godowsky fan, Hemalin's Godowsky - Complete Studies on Chopin's Études was fantastic.....

eschiss1

Quote from: FBerwald on Sunday 08 December 2013, 10:19
Seriously?.... U want 2 be all glitter and no substance? :D
A reputation he's never deserved but I'm especially glad I ignored that, BIXie or not, when I went to hear him live.

Alan Howe

His Alkan is pretty marvellous too. Plenty of substance there.
Anyway, we all digress: back to Bronsart...

Gareth Vaughan

Mike Spring confirms that Bronsart's PC will be recorded by Hyperion - but not just yet.

Alan Howe

Phew. Thanks, Gareth, for clearing up the confusion. Very helpful.

Mark Thomas

That's very good news, Gareth. Ponti has served us well, but it really is time for a modern alternative.