Bronsart Piano Concerto

Started by jameswesthead, Friday 06 December 2013, 18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

jameswesthead

I have just received an email from Edward Taylor - Copyright and Licensing Manager at Hyperion telling me that they have no plans to record the Bronsart Piano Concerto. A great pity because the orchestral playing on the old Vox recording with Ponti is inadequate to say the least.

Gareth Vaughan

This is a great pity. I know Mike Spring was, at one time, hoping to interest Marc-Andre Hamelin in recording it. Let us hope that this reply means "no immediate plans".

jameswesthead

I should have been a bit more accurate in reporting Hyperion's statement regarding the Bronsart - in fact they have no CURRENT plans to record it, so there is still hope.

semloh

Yes, the old Vox recording is overdue for replacement, but how fortunate that we have it - much better than nothing!  ;)

Revilod

Yes. The orchestral playing is rough and ready but, as in so many of the old Ponti recordings, the spirit of the music is entirely caught.  I play this disc a lot!

jerfilm

Yes, along with all the other Ponti unsungs.   Still good stuff in spite of the orchestra.

J

thalbergmad

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Friday 06 December 2013, 18:38
I know Mike Spring was, at one time, hoping to interest Marc-Andre Hamelin in recording it.

Hopefully, after the Scharwenka/Rubinstein catastrophe, he has changed his mind.

Thal

FBerwald

The Scharwenka/Rubinstein was a catastrophe?

Alan Howe

FBerwald

Marc-Andre Hamelin's versions of Romantic Piano Concertos are, more often than not, ironic.

Alan Howe

I wish I were as ironic as Hamelin, then...

FBerwald

Seriously?.... U want 2 be all glitter and no substance? :D

Peter1953

I don't think his interpretation of the Scharwenka is that bad, but the Rubinstein...

Bronsart von Schellendorff's magnificent concerto deserves a new recording, that's for sure. But it is my opinion that Ponti played it fantastic.
Maybe a new project for cpo, with one of those fine German orchestras and Oliver Triendl as the soloist?

Alan Howe

He's not all glitter and no substance. That's a wild and unwarranted over-simplification in respect of one of the world's great pianists.

giles.enders

Surely Hamelin played the Rubinstein as Rubinstein might have played it.  I am not a fan of Rubinstein but cannot recall a better all round performance of his PC4