Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players in Baermann, Czerny, Beethoven/Ebers

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 25 November 2014, 23:12

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Went to one of the Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players concerts yesterday afternoon. The program was

Heinrich Baermann - clarinet quintet no.3 Op.23 (Adagio only)
Carl Czerny - piano trio no.4 in A minor Op.289 (pub.1834)
after the interval-
Beethoven (arr. Carl Friedrich Ebers for double quintet) - Symphony no.3

The Baermann is the one work that has kept his music, though not his name, alive and well, since it was this adagio of his that was (erm... I think?...) for ages misattributed to Weber? Not sure?... Listed in the program notes but nothing about the piece in the pre-concert talk that I recall.
The Czerny- his only piano trio to have been recorded so far (again, I believe so, I'm not sure?) (on Signum, in 2006, with a trio in C minor by Onslow) - was played very well; in the pre-concert talk it was explained that Jens Nygaard, the late founder of the Jupiter Symphony, was fond of Czerny's music and liked to program his (still) little-known orchestral works.
A brief biography of Ebers was given- born in 1770 (died in 1836) but much less productive than Beethoven, though, the announcer noted, a life employment-and-marriage crisis around 1800 can't have helped him there (I'm not sure on that point, as he seems to have published, at least, a fair number of original works, not just transcriptions, even after that, including a symphony op.40 and a bassoon concerto op.41 around 1811) - as to his double-quintet (5 winds and 5 strings) arrangement of Beethoven's now-very-familiar Eroica symphony, also given, I'd say, a very good performance, it was worth hearing and enjoyable. (A nonet arrangement by Ebers was published (by Hofmeister, Leipzig in ca.1817)- not the same, I think, as the one we heard. They thanked the Beethoven-Haus Bonn for the material for the version they performed- maybe manuscript?)

TerraEpon

It was misattributed to Wagner actually, as a piece for clarinet and string orchestra.

Though of course his name is pretty well known to clarinet players.