Anton Rubinstein's Anthony & Cleopatra

Started by Mark Thomas, Tuesday 10 December 2013, 17:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Whilst I'm in Rubinstein mood, does anyone know of a recording (commercial or otherwise) of his Overture Anthony & Cleopatra? I see that it was played in 2012 under Gergiev in both St Petersburg and Saltzburg. Maybe one of these concerts was broadcast?

eschiss1

Now that you've encouraged me to download the full score of the piece (his Op.116 published in (and poss. composed in) 1890), I hope so. I'll see if I can find out anything, though...

(Hrm. Don't know when it was premiered- not that anyone asked- but there are interesting notes to the English premiere of 1891, which was conducted by Cowen.)

Mark Thomas

Quotethere are interesting notes to the English premiere of 1891
Where are those notes, please, Eric?

eschiss1

Just added a link to them from the IMSLP workpage. They're here. (Philharmonic Society Analytical and Historical Programme, 79th Season, 1891, pages 67 (really 66 I suppose) to 69.)

I wonder if these  might have been some of the concerts to which Tovey provided notes that might have later ... hrm. I forget...

Mark Thomas

>:( Not available for viewing by UK users, unfortunately.

eschiss1

isn't there a google.co.uk or somesuch? Well, I'll try to transcribe the program notes (though not the accompanying music- but then again, the full score can be downloaded from IMSLP, again) - just not right this moment.
It's unfortunate though, since there's other interesting stuff in that volume, like notes to a 1891 performance of Charles Edward Stephens' (lost?) symphony in G minor, etc. ...

Mark Thomas

It's a rights issue, I believe, Eric. Accessing it through .co.uk makes no difference. But thanks, anyway. Much appreciated.

eschiss1

I really need that rights issue explained somehow... did some of the authors live to 1943 or longer, requiring I suppose a PD-EU block (with certain exceptions that apply in cases of work-for-hire etc., etc.- or as I like to put it, copyright law is law, hence complicated...)  By comparison our 1922/23/mostly-with again lots of exceptions afterwards-don't ask (er- well- it's a long story) looks simple by comparison...

(Yeah, yeah, I know. Offtopic. Sorry. Anyhow, ok. I won't transcribe it either, then.)

Mark Thomas

Don't worry, Eric, there are ways around it for the determined. Anyway, off-topic, as you say.

So, no recording of Anthony & Cleopatra anywhere, I assume?