News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The sea - for orchestra

Started by M. Henriksen, Monday 10 May 2010, 21:15

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

One of my favorite pieces that has to do with the sea is The Island from Sainton. The material he composed for this was used in his only film score for Hollywood Moby Dick. Both the Chandos recording of the island and the Marco Polo recording of Moby Dick are worth having in your collection.

TerraEpon

Quote from: Albion on Thursday 22 July 2010, 07:05

It should be emphasised that these are properly licensed, not bootleg, discs. Unless you have a fetish for owning original releases, then I can see no problem with a sonically-identical CD with liner notes supplied at a reasonable price. It's either that or search amazon and ebay, and whilst you're at it apply for a second mortgage.

Well the one time I accidently bought one (through Amazon, was my fault for not reading), the disc had gaps between each track, which was especially problematic as many of the tracks didn't pause musically. This was back when they only had Marco Polo and Vox discs listed, and I imagine that issue is cleared...
Still it kinda always made they whole thing negative, and in general something feels kinda odd about 'owning' a CDR.
There's probably very few currently available discs that I would really want that isn't cheapish on Amazon anyway (and they also have quite a number of discs that one can easily buy the same recordings in an in print edition, usually with other music along with it)

wunderkind

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 22 July 2010, 10:28
Arkiv's re-release programme is a hugely important initiative - and the products themselves are excellent. I use this service regularly (e.g. I have just ordered Schreker's Die Gezeichneten as a result of a recommendation in the Schreker thread). Highly recommended!

While I agree that Arkiv has introduced an important initiative, my experience in purchasing a couple of these has been disappointing - in that the program notes are either abridged or non-existent.  I have opted to pay a bit more and seek these out-of-print CDs at Amazon.

The Ropartz Third in a good used condition is on Amazon for about 38 US bucks.  I would consider this a justifiable expenditure to be sure - the piece, with its original commentary, certainly can support such a price.

Alan Howe

Arkiv now include full copies of the sleevenotes and there are no issues with pauses between tracks. To all intents and purposes one is purchasing a first-class copy of the original at a reasonable price. A 100% thumbs-up from me!

Pengelli

You would rather spend £37.38,(lowest current price,on Amazon),for a couple of notes! I like the originals,but prices like that are,well......I won't use the term here. Anyway,surely you could get detailed information about the work somewhere. Perhaps here,and just write them down?
    Incidentally,I waited ages for an 'original' release of 'Schwanda the Bagpiper',(the Sony?CBS recording),which is,or was,also available from Arkhiv. It never happened....well,not yet anyway. Eventually bought a near pristine copy at a reasonable price from the Classical cd Excange,at a VERY reasonable price. And dead chuffed I was,too! Likewise,the Auvidis Valois recording of Tournemire's Seventh,but again not from a --- Amazon seller.
  Also,if you pay an exorbitant amount to some greedy seller,what if the record label suddenly decides to release it? What a waste! I waited ages for Boult's emi recording of Holst's 'Choral Symphony',and 'At the Boars Head',(Atherton),resisting al kinds of ridiculous prices. Eventually emi re-issued it as a two-fer with 'At the Boars Head','The Wandering Scholar',and 'The Hymn of Jesus',to boot.

Pengelli

Incidentally,off topic a bit I know,but if you do like original issues,the Sony box for the Weinberger opera is one of the most beautifuly designed I've ever come across,but £46,95 plus?!!! Thank you CDE!

M. Henriksen

It's been a while since this thread was active. Anyway, since last time I've had the pleasure of hearing Ernest Bloch's wonderful "Poems of the Sea" composed in 1922.
The work is in 3 parts: Waves - Chanty - At Sea.

I would particularly recommend the first part with its stormy climax and beautiful ending.

Morten

Syrelius

A few weeks ago I listened to another water-related (not to the sea, though), namely the Niagara Symphony by William Henry Fry. Over the top, but quite entertaining.  :)

Mark Thomas

TerraEpon

There's another Niagra piece, the Niagra Falls Suite by Grofe. Now THAT is over the top!

eschiss1

shouldn't a Niagara Falls suite be into the bottoms... never mind. Such considerations are too deep for me.

vandermolen

Sainton's Moby Dick is indeed great sea music, as is his 'The Island'.  His 'Nadir' (although not sea music) is his masterpiece in my view.  Klaus Egge's fine Symphony No 1, dedicated to the Norwegian merchant sea crews of World War Two, is also wonderfully evocative of the Sea. Also a plug for the 'Sea Pictures' of Grace William and I also greatly admire Frank Brige's 'The Sea'.  One more; Cuirlionis 'The Sea' is also wonderfully atmospheric.

alberto

I would suggest:
d'Indy Poème des rivages and Diptique meditarraneen (recordings by Prètre and Krivine).
Gian Francesco Malipiero Sinfonia del Mare (De Almeida recording)
Giorgio Federico Ghedini Marinaresca e Baccanale (I own an ancient de Sabata recording).
Gosta Nystroem Sinfonia del Mare (titled in Italian).

TerraEpon

Hmmm...did anyone in this thread mention The Sea by Ciurlionis? I only know of an old Marco Polo recording of it, but it's great.

alberto

I would add:
Giorgio Federico Ghedini: Concerto dell'albatro (inspired to/by Moby Dick);
Ernest Bloch: Poems of the sea
Charles Koechlin: Paysages et marines
Alfredo Casella: Italian battleships cruising in the Adriatic sea (from "War pages").