Atterberg from Järvi/Chandos

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 30 January 2013, 07:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Well, we'll see whether Chandos themselves confirm this. Otherwise, it's just hearsay...

JeremyMHolmes

The disc is now available (along with the other batch of forthcoming releases) for download on the Chandos "Classical Music Shop" site, with sound quality options up to "Studio 24/48".

Ilja

It's good to see that, beside the relatively well-known Sixth Symphony, the disc also includes the far less familiar Fourth. This is the work that Atterberg wrote as a 'light symphony', as a companion piece to Natanael Berg's Symphony No. 4 ("Pezzo Symphonico"), in mild protest of what they perceived as the leaden seriousness of Swedish music. The other pieces, En varmlandsrapsodi and the Third Suite, are welcome additions as well. Moreover, they promise a more inclusive approach than 'just' the symphonies.

Syrelius

Quote from: Alan Howe on Thursday 31 January 2013, 21:42
Well, we'll see whether Chandos themselves confirm this. Otherwise, it's just hearsay...

According to press releases from the Gothenburg S O, the plan is to record all symphonies. A press release of 7th january 2013 states that symphonies 2 and 8 will be (i e has been) recorded in january this year, so a good guess is that volume 2 will include these.

Alan Howe

It may seem that a full cycle is planned...
http://www.dotoday.se/en/goteborg/goteborgs-symfoniker-konserthuset/a-real-classic/18485100-a
...however, all Chandos are saying is: 'here we have the first of his discs devoted to Kurt Atterberg.'
http://www.chandos.net/
PS It is always helpful to have links to this sort of information.

TerraEpon

LateRomantic75

Though I was hoping for some unrecorded orchestral works (e.g. some of the eight suites), this is still great news! I can't get enough of Atterberg's rich, life-affirming music!

eschiss1

Well, eventually some of the complete operas (not impossible from Järvi even- he's done really, really well by Prokofiev in this regard, I say :) ) might be nice. :)

britishcomposer

Downloads now available from The Classical Shop:
http://www.theclassicalshop.net/Details.aspx?CatalogueNumber=CHAN%205133

I am quite concerned about Järvi's tempo: his 2nd takes about 10 minutes less than Rasilainen. Even Schmidt-Isserstedt's energetic performance needs 37 minutes.
I haven't downloaded because I am quite content with Rasilainen's 2 and 8 but I am still looking for a successful rendition of No. 4. Both Rasilainen and Järvi disappointed me because I miss a sense of mystery. Both opt for a straight inflexible beat which inhibits the music's breath. Short as it is it needs special care. Carl von Garaguly made a fine recording with the NDR SO but my recording is not  clean enough to share it.

LateRomantic75

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 22 December 2013, 04:25
Well, eventually some of the complete operas (not impossible from Järvi even- he's done really, really well by Prokofiev in this regard, I say :) ) might be nice. :)

Indeed! Also, there remain to be recorded the ballets Per Svinaherde (of which I only the the incredibly beautiful Prelude) and Ballettskizzen, as well as the Requiem and some orchestral songs and a couple shorter orchestral works.

LateRomantic75

Quote from: britishcomposer on Sunday 22 December 2013, 16:36
Downloads now available from The Classical Shop:
http://www.theclassicalshop.net/Details.aspx?CatalogueNumber=CHAN%205133

I am quite concerned about Järvi's tempo: his 2nd takes about 10 minutes less than Rasilainen. Even Schmidt-Isserstedt's energetic performance needs 37 minutes.
I haven't downloaded because I am quite content with Rasilainen's 2 and 8 but I am still looking for a successful rendition of No. 4. Both Rasilainen and Järvi disappointed me because I miss a sense of mystery. Both opt for a straight inflexible beat which inhibits the music's breath. Short as it is it needs special care. Carl von Garaguly made a fine recording with the NDR SO but my recording is not  clean enough to share it.

Yes, Jarvi's (often aggressively) swift tempi are a source of concern for me, and this seems to be an increasing trend as Jarvi ages. Some have accused him of not spending enough time with the music and just going through the motions without putting enough thought or heart into the music he conducts. I wouldn't go that far, but I can understand why Jarvi has his detractors. As for Atterberg, I'm perfectly happy with Rasilainen's recordings. There are very little flaws in his renditions (to my ears), so, unless Jarvi's recordings get overwhelmingly positive reviews (or include previously unrecorded works), I'll hold off on buying them. :)

JeremyMHolmes

Given the forthcoming concert programme with Jarvi and the GSO in February, I'm guessing that the 5th Symphony will feature on Volume 3....

Thursday, February 6
19:30
Gothenburg

HAYDN: Symphony No. 77 in B-flat major, Hob. I:77
MOZART: Sinfonia Concertante for violin and viola, K364
ATTERBERG: Symphony No. 5 in D minor "Sinfonia funèbre"

NEEME JÄRVI conductor
SARA TROBÄCK HESSELINK violin
ELLEN NISBETH viola
GÖTEBORGS SYMFONIKER

JimL

Quote from: LateRomantic75 on Sunday 22 December 2013, 17:22
...There are very little flaws in his renditions (to my ears)...
Do you mean that there are tiny flaws or few flaws?

LateRomantic75

Sorry for the ambiguity; I meant "very few".