Julius (Gyula) Beliczay (1835-1893)

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 10 May 2012, 21:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

A very amenable seller agreed to adjust the shipping to 'international' and Roberta's yer aunty!

Alan Howe

By the way, the original production run of the CD was only 300 copies - of which I have No.29! So, very few people are going to have heard this music. It badly needs to be re-released...

Martin Eastick

For anyone still interested in obtaining a copy of the Pannon CD of Beliczay's Symphony etc. this is now available from bocksmusicshop.at. I can confirm availability as today my copy arrived in the post and am looking forward to listening to this tomorrow.......

eschiss1

There's some other works of his that might be of interest to smaller instrumental groups - a string quartet @ IMSLP, a piano trio at the British Library and at North Carolina Greensboro, a number of piano works in the collection of the French National Library (digitized, some of them...)

Alan Howe

Do let us know what you think of the Pannon CD, Martin.

Wheesht

A couple of months ago, after reading about Beliczay here at UC [of course!], I felt I simply needed to try and get hold of a copy, and I succeeded - with the help of at least two online translation services and after about half an hour of translating everything... - on a Hungarian only website (lira.hu). They no longer have the CD there, my copy is number 135, but they do appear to have music available.

I have since listened to both the symphony and the serenade and I, too, think the latter especially is has lots of truly memorable tunes. Now that there appears to be another source in more accessible (to me) languages, I may try to order another copy for a friend who will enjoy this music as much as I do.