News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Edouard Silas

Started by Simon, Sunday 26 August 2012, 00:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Thanks for that, pcc. You continue to intrigue us...

Martin Eastick

Having had a more detailed examination of Silas' piano works that I have, I would revise my earlier opinion somewhat, as whilst the overall quality is uneven, there are certainly a number of pieces worthy of further study and performance. I also have a copy of the 1st piano trio (published by Cramer Beale & Co, plate no.5126, which probably dates it at from the early 1850's).. The British Library hold a much later edition by Augener c.1890, along with copies of the other three - Op27, Op46 & Op91, Certainly the Trio that I have (I think I have somewhere seen reference to this as his Op26 - I cannot recall exactly where unfortunately - and this is certainly lacking on the title page), shows considerable promise, and if only someone could investigate/obtain copies of the other three (obviously considering the hideously unreasonable copying costs at the BL), this could be a possible recording perhaps?

eschiss1

If Worldcat stops asking me to identify buses etc. and I can find copies elsewhere (very big ifs) I am very interested in trying to scan (and upload to IMSLP and etc) a copy so obtained, but that's unlikely I realize...

BNF has some of his works in their collection, one so far available for download (including the same Katto (Katts?) version of the Op.62 mass). He was Belgian, so KBR unsurprisingly has a few listed (not yet? downloadable) as well.

eschiss1

Re Amarante, the published score I see (by Richault, 1854) doesn't give Op.6, but perhaps a different publication does. Will change the page I uploaded/mirrored from BNF to IMSLP just now. Can you confirm that the Amaranth you have on recording, if you have time, is the one I uploaded? It's not accessible directly on the page -yet- but can be accessed via the BNF/Gallica-digital link BNF.  Adagio in E-flat minor, then Allegro in E-flat major...

Gareth Vaughan

The Juilliard appears to have copies of Trios 1 and 3 (Op. 46), and the RCM hold Opp. 27 and 46.

Martin Eastick

Firstly, Eric, an apology for carelessly giving misleading incorrect information in my previous post regarding Amaranth. Op6 (added in brackets by me as was NOT quoted in the notes accompanying the Sony CD) is incorrect, and should read Op12, which is shown on the British Library copy entry relating to an edition by Edwin Ashdown of 1887. I have what is almost certainly the first English edition: Cramer Beale & Co, with plate no.5251, which I believe to date from 1854. As the edition by the same publisher of the C minor trio  (No1) is plate no.5126, and if Op12 is actually correct for Amaranth, then presumably the trio should have originally been allocated an opus number between 1 and 11.

I have a number of Silas' piano works published by Cramer Beale & Co. from around the same period, but most of them lack opus number unfortunately, and Pazdirek's listing has many substantial gaps........

eschiss1

Amarante and Amaranth are both "Characteristic composition"s, both published in 1854 it seems. Won't be surprised if they are the same, then :) (The IMSLP version is unblocked so it can now be viewed there too, if one has an account.) As to the trios, Juilliard also has the first trio and Op.46.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteJuilliard also has the first trio and Op.46.

That's exactly what I reported two posts above, Eric.

Martin Eastick

Just to confirm Eric's conjecture, Amarante & Amaranth ARE one and the same!

eschiss1

Thank you and apologies for asking what must have seemed a silly question. I did mean it on musical, not linguistic grounds :D