News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stan Golestan (1875-1956)

Started by LateRomantic75, Saturday 04 January 2014, 19:05

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

I've been intrigued by this Romanian late-romantic who was an exact contemporary of Gliere. His French Wikipedia article provides a tantalizing work list, including a symphony and four concertos: http://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Golestan

There's a couple short chamber works by Golestan on YouTube, and his Romanian Rhapsody for orchestra has been recorded on CD: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00000G2IQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1388861893&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

IMSLP holds his Arioso and Allegro de concert for viola and piano (which is on YT) and a promising-looking Violin Sonata: http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Golestan,_Stan

Anyone have more info on Golestan?

Mykulh

His Carpathian Piano Concerto (1935-8) appeared on ELECTRECORD ECE 493 (LP) in 1966 coupled  with Filip Lazar's Chamber Concerto No. 4. I haven't heard it in many years but I remember the Golestan as an attractive nationalistic work.

LateRomantic75

Thanks for your response, Mike. That concerto sounds quite interesting!

eschiss1

His Romanian Rhapsody has been recorded on CD? (Ah, Piero Coppola conducting, so it's not the same recording we have uploaded in the "archives". We also have the Carpathian Piano concerto, I think, though not under that name...- do a forum-side search on Golestan.)

(Never mind, that latter file is missing.)

DennisS

It's a pity that the piano concerto under its title Concertul Carpatic in the Archives Romanian music is no longer there. I presume that it was taken down. Did anyone download this folder and if so, would they be prepared to re-upload it?

eschiss1

Unfortunately, I didn't. I don't know if it was so much taken down as went bye when the person/specific account who uploaded it/was linked to it ceased to be any longer a member of this site (I'm not sure why this would cause the folder to disappear, but it consistently seems to be that way, with other examples coming to mind. I think it has something to do with site software among other things on "Simple Machines"' end.)

Mark Thomas

No, it's non-availability has nothing to do with the forum software, Eric. I assume that the poster removed it from MediaFire, or changed the link there, when he left UC.

Richard Moss

DennisS

I did download them at the time.  If no-one else is able to upload them, then whilst I don't know how to upload per se, if you or Mark/Alan send me an appropriate e-mail address, I'll happily forward the mp3 files involved.

Best wishes

Richard

Mark Thomas

Richard, I'll email or PM you at the end of this week, when I get back home. Thanks very much for the offer.

Romantiker

Hi.  I cam to this forum looking for more information on Stan Golestan's Eglogue for clarinet and piano from 1933 .  It is a piece that I have played for many years.  I am coming back to it because its similarities to the clarinet version of Willson Osborne's Rhapsody for bassoon from 1958.  They both have a Monteverdi feeling about them.  I have the full sheet music for it if anyone is interested.

Richard Moss

Mark,

Just prompted by the latest post to Golestan - are the mp3 for his PC and Rhapsody still wanted (as per our earlier exchange).

Cheers

Richard

DennisS

Hello Richard

I for one would love to have the PC as it sounds particularly intriguing. Sounds like the sort of Eastern European music I would really enjoy!

Cheers
Dennis

Richard Moss

Dennis,

I don't have the knowhow/means/account to upload, but if you let me have your e-mail address (via a personal e-mail within the forum, I believe is the best route), I'll happily forward them to you (unless administrators want to handle it otherwise).

Cheers

Richard

semloh

Golestan's Romanian Rhapsody is an engaging neo-romantic work, and I think it may be available on YouTube. His Carpatic Concerto is, in my view, less successful - again it may be on YT (ex-Electrecord LP).

Music33

I've uploaded Stan Golestan's "Carpathian Piano Concerto" (1935-38).