The one unsung string quintet that everyone should hear.

Started by John H White, Tuesday 07 January 2014, 22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

John H White

I should like to submit Franz Lachner's String Quintet in C minor, Op 121 for this honour. It's so different from the sublime C major Quintet of his good friend Franz Schubert, but its dramatic character ought surely earn it a place alongside that one in the 2 cello quintet repertoire.

eschiss1

gah, just one, not a top three or even (odd) five? :( ...

then I must nominate Draeseke's F major quintet Op.77 (many people here will be familiar with it already, moreso than with some of the other main contender I might have selected instead :) ), though whether more for that lovely slow movement, or for the die-away ending, or just in general, I don't know.

John H White

Your choice sounds very interesting to me. I wonder if it has been recorded yet.

Alan Howe

...in fact my own nomination would be the Draeseke Quintet, WoO 25, mainly for the main theme of the first movement which has an almost Brucknerian amplitude. A truly great work - and unforgettable once heard.

eschiss1

btw there's another recording of the Draeseke string quintet in F over at IMSLP (thanks again, matesic) (the one I've had for years in my collection is the one listed at Amazon, though Alan (Krueck) was good enough to send it me at a member discount even though I was a member in heart only, as it were...)
If this were a top 3 or 5 I'd certainly be nominating both of Draeseke's quintets, since which one I definitely prefer and for what reason and when is a matter of- well, anyway. (Well, ok, my choice to contribute to a topic like this despite its inherent limitations ;^) But looking forward to reading other suggestions- and hearing them. I have some ideas - and just some I haven't heard and wonder will-they-be mentioned, so ... one waits, :) )

John H White

Many thanks, Alan & Eric, for that further information.

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

I can't find one, Gareth, but you can hear the piece on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QiHrowgRyc
Wonder what the source of this recording is?

Gareth Vaughan

Amphissa

I too like the Lachner a lot.

My choice would be the Taneyev String Quintet in G major, op. 14. His Piano Quintet is more commonly performed and recorded, but the op. 14 string quintet is also one of his strongest chamber works. It was written in the same year that Taneyev wrote his very fine 4th symphony.

It's not easy to find physical CDs containing this work at reasonable prices, but there are downloads available for the Northern Flowers recording (out of print) as well as the Bard players. There is a video of a performance on YouTube, but it is broken at around 6 minute point. Maybe the uploader will fix it sometime.

eschiss1

Re source/performers of the YouTube recording of Lachner's string quintet:

at a random, wild guess, the Musica Varia Ensemble.

Alan Howe

Well sleuthed, Eric. YouTube confirms the identity of the performers - and I couldn't find our upload. So once again, the source is probably.................us!

Gareth Vaughan

None of the Lachner uploads in Eric's link seem to be available anymore. What is happening?

Amphissa

The Lachner link that Alan posted works. And if you click the "Show More" button beneath, it will not only display the individual movements, but also (yep) the performers, so you don't have to sleuth or guess.