Remarkable unsung late classical symphonies

Started by LateRomantic75, Friday 10 January 2014, 00:26

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

In which respect (bad grammar, Eric, bad, bad!) there's what seems, from Google/Amazon preview, to be a really good (expensive, academic-y, but I maintain, good, from what I see of the contents) book by David Wyn Jones called The Symphony in Beethoven's Vienna... (my source for information on works like Czerny's D major symphony- well, it was until Botstein had to go and perform it (*now everyone knows about it! ;) mock-sigh... :) *) also a goodly substantial section on Krommer and his 8/9 numbered symphonies (there are also some unnumbered I think...), etc. (one is lost, but Wyn Jones knows enough about them to have something to say, if negatively in some cases) ... etc.

(Eberl, Reicha, Wranitzky, Wranitzky (Anton), etc. are also discussed at some length, I think; also Rosetti, Hoffmeister, and Vorisek...)

John H White

I gather Beethoven was a great admirer of Cherubini and Rossini.

eschiss1

In Cherubini's case, whatever Beethoven thought of the whole body of the man's work- I don't know...- he did very much (I gather) admire what may well (I am told) have been Cherubini's greatest work, his mass in C minor.

JimL

Harold C. Schonberg was of the opinion that Beethoven admired Cherubini's technique.  He considered Cherubini's music extremely old-fashioned harmonically compared to Beethoven, saying that Cherubini's most daring harmony was the diminished 7th chord which was "already threadbare in his day".

LateRomantic75

Kudos to those who brought up the Cherubini, Fesca and Wilms symphonies. Wonderful works, all of them!

Alan Howe

John H White

Listening to Cherubini's Requiem , I can see where Beethoven got his avant garde  choral style from in the finale of his 9th symphony.

LateRomantic75

No one has yet mentioned the two substantial symphonies of Portuguese classical composee João Domingos Bomtempo, which have been recorded by Naxos. The First is a delightful work in the vein of Hadyn, while the Second is more Beethovenian in its premonitions of Romanticism.

Alan Howe

That may be because (a) no-one knows them, and/or (b) they ain't particularly remarkable...except for the fact that they're Portuguese. IMHO, of course.

alberto

I know both the Bomtempo Symphonies (the first also through a Koch recording) and IMHO I too would rank them as remarkable (even if not on a par with Vorisek or  Arriaga or Cherubini).

Alan Howe

LateRomantic75

It's quite evident that Alberto agrees with me on the quality of the Bomtempo symphonies.....

Alan Howe

OK, but I agree with him that they aren't on a par with works such as those by Arriaga, Vorisek or Cherubini.

jdperdrix

Did anybody mention ETA Hoffmann's symphony in E flat (1806)?