Joseph Miroslav Weber (1854-1906)

Started by LateRomantic75, Sunday 26 January 2014, 05:03

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

Tonight, I listened to the beautifully nostalgic Septet in E major Aus Meinem Leben by little-known Czech composer Joseph Miroslav Weber on YouTube. Scored for the unique combination of clarinet, bassoon, two horns, violin, viola, and cello, it is spontaneous and freshly melodic work which takes Dvorak as a role model. I was pleased to find that this work tends more towards Slavic pathos than to Germanic restraint. The YT recording originates from an OOP Orfeo CD, where the work is coupled with a septet by Erzherzog Rudolph. His String Quintet in D has also made it to CD, but, alas, that recording (on the Cello Classics label) is also OOP.

Information on Weber is not extensive, but I have been able to gather that he composed an opera, a violin concerto, orchestral suites, and at least two string quartets, in addition to the two chamber works already mentioned. Steve's Bedroom Band has uploaded a recording of his String Quartet no. 2, which I have yet to hear. IMSLP also holds the piano reduction of the VC, the String Quintet, and the Miniatur-Suite for violin and piano. Edition Silvertrust has published the septet and quintet.

Any thoughts?

jerfilm

The  Erzherzog Rudolph Septet is also on YouTube.

J

LateRomantic75

Yes, I plan on giving that one a spin soon.