News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Evald Aav (1900-1939)

Started by LateRomantic75, Friday 17 January 2014, 22:22

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

I've been intrigued by the tragically short-lived Estonian composer Evald Aav, who composed in a late-romantic, nationalist style akin to Tchaikovsky. Unsurprisingly, he was not very prolific, but he turned out four major works: the nationalist opera The Vikings, a Symphony in D minor, a 35-minute symphonic poem Life, and a Piano Sonata in C major. The Estonian Music Information Centre has much information about Aav as well as some mouth-watering audio clips available: http://www.emic.ee/evald-aav

I'm thinking Aav's Symphony in D minor and symphonic poem Life would make a perfect coupling on CD (Jarvi, are you listening?). Or perhaps we could interest CPO or some other enterprising company?

Christopher

Just last week I finally received from Tallinn a complete recording of Aav's opera The Vikings (via friends of friends who know people in national radio there...). It's on CD so I guess I can't upload it here, even though it's not commercially available. But I have uploaded the booklet which contains interesting information:

https://www.mediafire.com/apps/myfiles/?shared=0&multikeys=0#b64ygslqqxtun

I haven't listened to it carefully enough yet to give detailed comment other than to say that it has some very stirring moments in it (also available in fragments on YouTube...).

The EMIC website implies that his symphony and a concert waltz have been recorded, I just wish I could find where.  His symphonic poem Life ("Elu" in Estonian) is available to purchase on www.muusika24.ee .

LateRomantic75

Yes, I, too was wondering where exactly the commercial recording of the Symphony and Concert Waltz that EMIC lists can be found! Thanks for the link to purchasing Life-I will keep that in consideration!

Christopher

If anyone else has any idea where these two pieces (the symphony and the concert waltz) can be found/purchased, there are clearly at least two people who would be very grateful!

sdtom

Gareth Vaughan

Sorry. Am I missing something? Where does it imply that the symphony has been recorded, please?

Christopher

True, it is not implied there.  It was member Mykulh who told me that it had been recorded, but I haven't seen him on here for a while....