Rudolf Viole 1825-67 - piano sonatas

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 22 November 2014, 13:18

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I remember reading William S. Newman's Sonata Since Beethoven and being intrigued by his description of Rudolf Viole's piano sonatas, as described by others though, since they were, well- lost.
Or so Mr. Newman had every reason to believe, it seems.  Apparently matters have changed, and his piano music, including his sonatas, have been rediscovered.  There's 3 volumes' worth of recordings now, thanks to John Kersey and the efforts of scholars in England and Switzerland it seems?

See here for a description of volume 1 of the series.  Linked from there, too, is a mention of the same pianist's recording of piano music by Salomon Jadassohn (another favorite of sorts of mine.)
I haven't heard these recordings of Viole's sonatas (anyone?...) - but was about to ask if anyone even knew if his sonatas had been found, when it occurred to me to take a quick look- and - well- there it (they) are.  Yay search engines... I have to catch a bus (to visit family for a week) in under an hour, so can't even listen to sound samples right now rationally anyway (will later), but wanted to mention. (A search of this forum turns up nothing for "Viole", so unless someone misspelled his name as "Viola" when announcing the release of this recording - shame! - or unless it was announced on the old boards in 2009 - quite possible ... well...erm.)

Anyway, again, Newman's 2nd or 3rd or whatever hand opinion- maybe from music examples from NMZ reviews (back when it was more common for music reviews to contain analysis and music examples - there's a habit worth encouraging again...) - was that they looked intriguing, if, like Draeseke's sonata in his opinion, possibly somewhat indebted to Liszt's sonata (there are, this writer honestly suggests, far worse take-off points, and originality for its own sake is... erm. A whole slew of topics right there, so never mind.) Glad to see the works still exist, again, hoping to hear them one way or the other. :)