Joseph Dente 1838-1905 Symphony on P2 Sveriges Radio

Started by vicharris, Sunday 26 January 2014, 22:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Lovely, open-hearted stuff indeed. A pity there's no commercial recording. Thanks so much for the link.

Did anyone actually manage to record the broadcast?

LateRomantic75

Very pleasant listening-thanks for the link! But it's nothing I'm dying to see commercially recorded...

jerfilm

I recorded this - is it permissible to upload?  They say it's from a 1992 concert in the Berwald Hall......

Jerry

Alan Howe

jerfilm

It is posted in the Downloads section.  About 24 minutes and apparently only 3 movements.  But an enjoyable work if not real "deep".......

thanks, Vicharris, for putting us on to it.

Jerry

Alan Howe

jerfilm

Oh, you're so very welcome, Alan.   it was about my turn to post something.  :) :)

J

semloh

What a great way to start the day - with this sparkling, brightly played and engaging music.
Sincere thanks 'jerfilm'  :) :)

Joseph Dente - yet another unjustly unsung composer. It's hard to understand why this particular symphony has been so neglected. It's so enjoyable. I do hope we'll hear more about and by him ...

regriba

About 24 minutes and apparently only 3 movements.

According to http://levandemusikarv.se/tonsattare/dente-joseph/ the symphony is in four movements and lasts for about 30 minutes. Maybe a movement is missing?

regriba

Sorry, I meant this link:http://levandemusikarv.se/tonsattare/dente-joseph/SMH-W648-Symfoni_d-moll_komponerad_for_stor_orkester . The other one was a brief biography of Dente. From this last link you can also download the score.

Alan Howe

QuoteMaybe a movement is missing?

No - its 24 minutes encompass all four movements.

Alan Howe

I had certainly underestimated this concise, but powerful and athletic symphony when I first heard it. Now that I've listened to it again, I find a lot to admire, especially its sheer dynamism and imaginative orchestration - think, for example, of the wonderful opening to the symphony down in the depths of the orchestra, with bassoons intoning dolefully. Gorgeous woodwind writing in the slow (3rd) movement too. The idiom, I suppose, is Mendelssohn/Schumann plus, with emphasis on the plus - although here this means expansion of expressive means rather than extension of duration.

An obvious candidate for a label such as Sterling, I would have thought. There's apparently a violin concerto too - wonder where it is....? Eric, help!!

eschiss1

Alan Howe