BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

For the Birds

Started by John Hudock, Wednesday 19 May 2010, 14:49

Previous topic - Next topic

minacciosa

Quote from: semloh on Tuesday 13 March 2012, 04:32
Quote from: minacciosa on Tuesday 13 March 2012, 02:38
Henry Hadley's Symphony No.5 "Connecticut" uses birdcalls in its second movement. ......

Wow! It sounds like you have a recording of Hadley's 5th! If so, is it possible to upload it - please? I only know of the Naxos disc of his 4th....

He is definitely an unsung composers whose works I would love to hear!  :) :)
Unfortunately I don't have a recording; I have a score. Should a performance occur, I will certainly share.

alberto

Birtwistle: Night's black bird ( I have heard it twice in actual concerts in the span of one year; magisterial avant-garde- and the piece is short).
Villa Lobos : Uirapurù (or "The Enchanted Bird")
Ravel: Trois Beaux Oiseaux du Paradis

Peter1953

An old thread, but a new spring. Recently I came across a CD called The animal in the 20th century piano music, played by the Dutch pianist Marius van Paassen (1983).
The birds are:
Ravel: Oiseaux Tristes (= sad birds), from Miroirs
Granados: Quejas ó la Maya y el Ruisenor (= the complaint or the maiden and the nightingale), from Goyescas. Towards the end of the piece in a sad silence, a nightingale sings.
Van den Sigtenhorst Meyer: from Eight Préludes: No. 5 Marabou and No. 6 Humming-bird
Messiaen: Le Traquet stapazin (= some kind of a Bunting, living in the Pyrenees near the coast of the Mediterranean Sea), from Le Catalogue des Oiseaux.

chill319

MacDowell wrote a miniature etude called "To a Hummingbird."

mjkFendrich

Hermann Suter's 3rd string quartet op.20 in G (1918) has the title "Amselrufe" (blackbird songs)
unfortunately I've never heard it.

carter brandon

Finnissy's 3rd Quartet-44 mins long-sustantial portions of taped birdsong.

My favourite 'official' birdsong orchestral moment is the actual opening of Englund 2- cited earlier

You will hear a lot of birdsong in Maxwell Davies- many places

I swear if you listen often enough to Webern's op21 symphony, first movement, it is there in the clarinet

chill319

From Wikipedia's entry on Martin Denny, he of the exotic lounge music:
QuoteThe original combo consisted of Augie Colon on percussion and birdcalls,

reiger

Has anyone mentioned Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition?

Christopher

Quote from: reiger on Wednesday 16 May 2012, 14:07
Has anyone mentioned Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition?

Or the Hut on Hen's Legs for that matter....!

sdtom

In my cleaning and reorganizing of my CD's I found a recording of the 'blackbird.' Not too impressed

mbhaub

Ah, but I am deeply impressed with the Blackbird Pub in Earl's Court. My favorite London hangout...

sdtom

I'm happy for you friend. I'll give it another listen.
Tom