Music for Harp and String Quartet

Started by LateRomantic75, Tuesday 28 January 2014, 20:13

Previous topic - Next topic

LateRomantic75

A quick search of IMSLP reveals the following:

Bax: Harp Quintet. Unquestionably the most well-known work for this combination. It's full of the "Celtic twilight" that makes Bax's music so unmistakably magical.

Cras: Harp Quintet. A shimmeringly atmospheric work evocative of the sea. It is remarkable for its extensive use of exotic modes.

Desire-Emile Ingelbrecht: Harp Quintet. It hasn't been recorded, but judging by what little I've heard of Ingelbrecht's music, it should be impressionistic in style.

E.T.A. Hoffmann: Harp Quintet in C minor. A late classical/early romantic work which has been recorded by CPO. I haven't heard it, though.

Andre Caplet: Conte fantastique. This minor masterwork, based on Poe's The Masque of the Red Death, also exists in a version for harp and string orchestra. It has been recorded in both guises.

Tchaikovsky: Adagio molto in E-flat major. This student work has been recorded once (on Regis), but I haven't heard it.

Liszt: Am Grabe Richard Wagners. Composed in the last year of his life, this little work has been recorded once (on Oehms), but, again, I haven't heard it.

Marcel Samuel-Rousseau (1882-1955): Variations pastorales sur un vieux noel. This work has been recorded in its original guise for solo harp, but not in its incarnation for harp and string quartet (by Marcel Tournier).

Anything else of interest in this field?

minacciosa

Yes: Evgeny Golubev (1910-1988, prolific Myaskovsky student) Harp Quintet Op.39. Good piece.

LateRomantic75

Kudos for mentioning that! I haven't heard his Harp Quintet, but Golubev's rather Rachmaninoffian PCs are very much to my liking.

TerraEpon

Quote from: LateRomantic75 on Tuesday 28 January 2014, 20:13

Liszt: Am Grabe Richard Wagners. Composed in the last year of his life, this little work has been recorded once (on Oehms), but, again, I haven't heard it.

This is of course a transcription of a piano piece (also transcribed for organ), which has had a number of recordings.

Sharkkb8

<<  Marcel Samuel-Rousseau (1882-1955): Variations pastorales sur un vieux noel. This work has been recorded in its original guise for solo harp, but not in its incarnation for harp and string quartet (by Marcel Tournier).>>

I think I found a recording with harp & quartet, haven't taken the plunge on it, but....

http://www.classicsonline.com/catalogue/product.aspx?pid=1922675

One of the pleasant differences about classicsonline.com that I've discovered is that quite often (though by no means always) it relaxes the omnipresent "album only" requirements of iTunes and Amazon downloads, such that those pesky, hard-to-find single tracks can sometimes be acquired without buying the whole album and adding duplications to one's collection. 

This is my first ever post, btw - although I've been a "lurker" for over a year now - my name is Gregory.  I must congratulate everyone involved with this site; both my musical knowledge and my collection have burgeoned as a result of the rather astonishing collective wisdom here (just as my bank account has inversely decreased!).  Thanks again from warm & sunny Hawaii, and keep up the good work!   

LateRomantic75

Thank you for the info, Gregory, and welcome to the forum! :) Oh, how I am envious of you, basking in the warm Hawaii sun! ;D

eschiss1

Ah. The only work I've run into by Samuel-Rousseau is a work for string quartet (alone) over @ IMSLP (thanks again, matesic, for recording that) - and thanks for expanding my knowledge.

Alan Howe

Yes, welcome Gregory. Great to have you contributing after doing so much lurking!  ;)

jdperdrix

There's a Naxos record of Bax's Harp Quintet which also includes Malipiero's Sonata a Cinque, in a version for harp and string quartet (original for harp, flute and string trio). Available for streaming and downloading only (classicsonline, qobuz).
Incidentally, as I was checking on google, there will be a concert in Tokyo with Caplet and Malipiero works for harp and string quartet, 16 March 2014 at Dai-ichi Seimei Hall (http://www.triton-arts.net/en/concert/). There might be a radio broadcast on NPO, who knows...

dax

Ladislav Kupkovic harp quintet. Although written c1980, it is written in a style which many would place between Mozart and Mendelssohn.

eschiss1

Just outside our range but there's one by Inghelbrecht composed in 1917... (ah, already mentioned, likewise Caplet's 1908 Conte. I guess I'll have to see if any of the Untagged pages fit the description... :D )