Xaver Scharwenka Piano Concertos

Started by alharris, Tuesday 28 January 2014, 21:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

What's the original source of the Hofmann recording, though?

Rob H

I don't know. I assume it is German radio - it was uploaded by Musikpensioner who uploaded lots of old radio recordings. I think it's live - I'll have to relisten. Beyond that I have no info.

Alan Howe

alharris

I just found this release info for the Scharwenka Concertos on MDT's website:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/scharwenka-complete-piano-concertos-alexander-markovich-neeme-jarvi-chandos-2cds.html

Given that he release date is March 31, I would expect the download to be available circa March 1.

Alan Howe

alharris reports:

The new Chandos recording of the 4 Scharwenka Piano Concertos is available for download now.

http://www.theclassicalshop.net/Details.aspx?CatalogueNumber=CHAN%2010814

Al Harris

JimL

I got this in my email today: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Chandos/CHAN10814?utm_source=News-2014-04-07&utm_medium=email#listen

With this, all 4 of his concertos have been recorded at least twice.  Dare we call him "sung"?

Nah.  But it's a good start. :)

Alan Howe

I'd say this set is worth getting for the dynamic performance of PC3 alone - it's very different to Tanyel/Strugala on Hyperion. Comparative timings:
Tanyel/Strugala: 15:48/9:29/12:49   (37:57)
Markovich/Järvi:  14:06/6:41/10:41   (31:28)
In other words, Markovich/Järvi are about 20% faster....

dpal

The cheapest download of the new Scharwenka album is here:
http://www.emusic.com/album/-/-/14846420/

I'm just downloading it. Enjoy!

(I hope the link works from the US as well.)

Rob H

Thanks for reminding me that it is on emusic. Have just downloaded it and have listened to the first movement of number 2. Hmmm... Well it's good to have new recordings of them but I'm not massively impressed on the strength of this movement. He is a very heavy handed player - ignores some of the quieter dynamics and is four-square in his phrasing. He slows down for some of the more taxing figurations and is just technically bad at the final piano solo sextuplets before the cadenza (page 61 in the full score from imslp).
I'll plough on as time allows and see what my overall impression is.
Rob

Just listened to my favourite Scharwenka movement (no2 finale) and hate this recording. His rhythms are lazy in the extreme (every hemidemisemiquaver in the main theme is just played as a triplet as are the mordants) and dotted rhythms are virtually triplets. His left hand tends to play loud and solidly when the right hand has fast passagework and the whole thing lacks bounce. I don't feel much of a sense of dance here. The overall impression I get is that the concerto is right at the edge of his technique. I'm quite disappointed as I was really looking forward to this set.
Am I alone in my negative opinion?

FBerwald

I haven't heard the complete works but just the samples but I to say that I have not been overtly impressed. His handling of the Scherzo IInd movement of Concerto no 1 seems to me pretty "lazy". The The 1st and 4th movement of the 4th concerto seems very soggy in comparison to the Hough version, but then again, like I said I haevn't listened to the whole piece(s) so may be I am wrong.

Rob H

Soggy - that is just such a great description of what I felt. I waited for crispness of articulation and waited in vain. Yes, soggy.
Rob

eschiss1

Articulation (and not just of rhythms; "just" making clear what's important, giving things direction...)- now there's something that can raise a performance above "the pack" :)

Martin Eastick

I listened to the 2nd (my personal favourite) for the first time a few days ago and eagerly awaiting the initial piano entry, I have to admit that I was immediately disappointed. This disappointment grew steadily as the concerto progressed and by the end I was thinking that this first complete cycle was most definitely an opportunity lost by Chandos. Moving on to the Op32, which I went to next, my expectations were considerably lowered, and again, was most underwhelmed.

I wholeheartedly agree with other comments already raised here and would also add that there seem to be misreadings both in the actual notes as well as in the rhythmic detail. I haven't yet tried out the 3rd & 4th, but I'm prepared for the worst! My other concern here is that the negative reception already received here will surely be echoed in any number of reviews etc., which may severely disadvantage Scharwenka's reputation and also discourage further performances and/or recordings. Perhaps also Chandos may not wish to proceed with a new recording of the Symphony, which surely would have been a logical successor to this set. We can only hope that Naxos may continue perhaps with another complete cycle?...........

FBerwald

Martin, I wouldn't worry about Scharwenka's reputation. The reviews reflect on the performers, the pianist mainly. Chandos could have tried Hough for the complete set and we would def. have a winner. The problem lies in the fact the music, essencially the solo part, is extremely taxing as well as imaginative so a very capable and dedicated player is needed. Missed opportunity as i can conclude. Let's hear from the other members.

jerfilm

Well, as all know, I'm never at a loss for words.  Except when your reviews are as bad as these are.  Frankly, I have better things to spend my sheckles on than something panned this heavily.  Thanks for that......   Really.n

Jerry