Xaver Scharwenka Piano Concertos

Started by alharris, Tuesday 28 January 2014, 21:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Well, here's a very different opinion:

By Guy Mannering (at Amazon.co.uk):
The Scharwenka piano concertos, in my opinion, are every bit as good as those of Saint-Saens, but whilst three of the latter's five always retained some favour with star virtuosos and recording companies, those of Scharwenka inexplicably fell into near-oblivion. This new set of all four Scharwenka concertos is therefore most welcome. If you haven't sampled any of them before, my advice would be to start with his third, and then follow with the fourth, first and second in that order. Although the fourth is generally accounted his finest work the third, in my opinion, is his most attractive and indelible concerto, indeed of all those countless romantic piano concertos that fell by the wayside Scharwenka's third is the one I find the easiest to recall. The slow movement of this concerto must surely rank as Scharwenka's most beautiful creation. But even when his melodic and thematic material isn't always quite top-drawer, as in his second, the musical pyrotechnics never fail to hold the attention.

These are tremendous performances, in no ways inferior to those currently available on the Hyperion label in their Romantic Piano Concerto series. The sheer heft and power of Alexander Markovich's playing will have you pinned to your seat - his account of the third's first movement is impressively muscular and just listen to the dazzling way he dashes off the scherzo of the first concerto (one of Scharwenka's best movements that easily stands comparison with the famous scherzo of Saint-Saens' second) to get the measure of this pianist's virtuosity. However I thought that he and maestro Jarvi were not quite as successful in bringing out the reflective poetic quality of the third's slow movement as Seta Tanyel on the Hyperion release.

The recording venue for these performances (the Nokia Concert Hall in Tallinn) has a rather cavernous acoustic and the orchestra sounds a bit recessed so that orchestral textures are not always ideally clear especially in the louder passages, Thus the majestic orchestral opening of the third seems to emanate from the back of the hall and produces a rather muted effect ( the Hyperion recording again scores extra points here.) And the tone produced by Markovich's piano has a slightly clangy, metallic edge. But I don't want to make too much of these points, they're minor negatives and I don't think there's anything serious enough to spoil your listening pleasure.

I paid a tenner for this 2 disc release although I notice the Amazon price has edged up by about a pound at the time of leaving this review. Certainly at around a tenner this release is a very good bargain and if you're keen to start investigating neglected or forgotten romantic piano concertos then I don't think you need hesitate. Warmly recommended.

Alan Howe

...and another positive review at Classical CD Choice:

SCHARWENKA: PIANO CONCERTOS, Alexander Markovich, Estonian National Symphony Orchestra, Neeme Järvi/CHANDOS CHAN 10814(2) Largely forgotten today, the Polish-born German composer Franz Xaver Scharwenka was a much lauded figure of late-nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century music. His four piano concertos are central works among his small output. With Neeme Järvi and the Estonian National Symphony Orchestra, Alexander Markovich has here recorded them together for the first time. There is an air of the faded here, but the best possible case is made for the music.

eschiss1

If thinking about purchasing the new set and having worries, maybe one or more recordings from the set will be broadcast on some radio station (if not BBC, then perhaps Radio Stephansdom or another) that webcasts with fairly good quality within a reasonable time, which might help a person reach some decision on their own? Don't know. (Maybe too soon given the release date, though, except for new release programs... hrm.)

JimL

I can sort of see the problem.  Listening to the orchestral introduction on the sample from Concerto no. 1, I expected Earl Wild when the piano came in.  What I got was Seta Tanyel.  The pianism was rather turgid.  I think that whoever said that this music is right on the edge of Markovich's technical capability is right on the money.  He couldn't keep up with the tempos set by Jaarvi.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteThere is an air of the faded here, but the best possible case is made for the music.

What on earth does this mean? This is the sort of vacant criticism that does music such as this (and music generally) a disservice. In what sense is Scharwenka "faded"? Why does a case need to be made for the music? This reviewer has obviously imbibed the received opinion that anyone who is not of the calibre of Brahms or Beethoven is not really worth listening to. What callow rubbish!

Mark Thomas

Now there's a harrumph with which I totally agree, Gareth!

Yours in curmudgeonliness etc....

;)

Alan Howe

At least the reviewer liked the performances...

FBerwald

That's what bothers me. The reviewer liked these performances. Has he/she never heard the Hough/Tanyel/Wild performances? Even the Hamelin version [not my fav.] seems more desirable.

Alan Howe

Well, I liked them too. And I like Tanyel (in her more deliberate way) also. In any case, we haven't got Wild, Hamelin or Hough in all four concertos. So, I'm particularly glad to have Markovich in Nos.2 and 3.

adriano

Just bought and listened the Markovich Schwarwenka Piano Concertos. They are sensationally well played, interpreted and conducted! From both artists: fabulous dynamics. Let me shake my head - just a little - to some posh criticism in here... The sound may be a bit a problem, but one gets used to it. I wish I could work with such an excellent soloist! Järvi too, carries on holding an incredible tension over each movement, in this, he always succeds and makes his conducting great. It's like a live recording.

Alan Howe

As I indicated before, I very much liked these performances too. They're of the barnstorming variety, but there's plenty of subtlety too. And of course soloist and conductor had been performing in concerts too, so it's no wonder the recordings sound like live performances.

jerfilm

I just listened to a youtube upload of the Jarvi 3rd and in my humble opinion, it's a lot of crashing and banging with a subsequent loss of the subtle beauty of the piece.  I'm glad i didn't buy the set.

Jerry

Alan Howe

Quotea lot of crashing and banging

Or barnstorming, according to taste. I'm glad I did buy it - especially at the 2 CDs for 1 price.

FBerwald

Alan, I think this is one of those recordings which will bring out very varied opinions; opinions which people seem to be sticking to [I have still not heard these recordings]. Who knew Scharwenka would create a little storm in our unsung teacup! :D

Alan Howe

Michael Jameson in International Record Review (May issue, just out) calls the set 'a personal triumph for Markovich who consistently delivers titanic pianism that few can match these days'. Overall, it is an 'invaluable and authoritative issue'. I wholeheartedly concur.