News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung piano trios

Started by chill319, Wednesday 29 January 2014, 00:43

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Reingle thread: that's because her name is misspelt. It's Caroline Reinagle (Orger).

Mark Thomas

Apart from the Foote, have any of the works you mention so persuasively been recorded, Ken?

jerfilm

Haven't listened to it in ages, but I recall being impressed by the Piano Trio in A by Toivo Kuula.   Long work.  Some good melodies.  Pity he died so young.

Jerry

LateRomantic75

Hi Ken, you mention a composer by the name of Kroeger. Are you, by any chance, referring to American composer Ernest Richard Kroeger (1862-c.1934)? I've been intrigued by his music ever since coming across a couple very attractive piano works of his in an old book. According to a bio included in that ancient collection, Kroeger composed a Symphony in B flat, a PC in E-flat, a Suite for Orchestra in C, four overtures, four string quartets, two string quintets, two piano trios, a piano quartet, sonatas for violin, viola, and cello, a Piano Sonata in D-flat, a Suite for Piano in F minor, twelve Concert Studies for piano as well as numerous miniatures and songs. On the basis of the piano works of his I've played (esp. the passionate, melodic Declaration), he definitely seems like a composer worth the record companies' time!

Ken P

Mark,

To answer your question about any recordings of those mentioned trios...negative.  Unfortunately, the powers that be have seen fit to ignore them.  Hopefully, this will soon change, after all...recordings of Foote, Chadwick, Beach, Parker etc. are now being recorded.  Hopefully, this trend will continue.  Tragically, some of the scores (autographs never published) are actually rotting away in major libraries.  Once they are gone.  Well, I think you get my point.

I should have also mentioned other well forgotten American composers of in my last post.  J. C. Moller (granted, he is a little bit of a stretch...German/British/American), but he finally came to this county, settled here and made it his final home not to mention resting place.  Louis A. Coerne should be on that list.  Joseph Taws' "Air and Variations" is the earliest known (at least to me) piano trio written by a native grown, reared and trained American composer...published in the 1820s.  Granted, it is not a work of genius but it holds a spot of historic worth...also, it is just downright good fun to play.  If you are a pianist and have facile hands capable of extremely rapid runs (both treble and bass) give it a try...you might get hooked.  Finally, John West's Trio in D Major should be mentioned; it is a lengthy, wonderful composition, not quite the equal of Foote but pretty darn close.   

Ken P

LateRomantic75,

Yes, my Kroeger and your Kroeger are one and the same.  You hit the nail on the head when you speak of the quality of his work.  He was a remarkably gifted and brilliant composer.   Yes, he wrote two piano trios but only the second trio still exists.  I will presume the first trio is lost since his entire archive is in one location and only the second (in manuscript) is present.  In my previous post I mentioned rotting scores...well this is one such case.  I recently contacted the university where the collection is kept and asked about acquiring a copy of said trio.  A few days later the curator of the music reproduction archive division contacted me and told me the score was rotting and falling apart.  Fortunately for music lovers, this was caught before total destruction occurred.  They also went through all of his other manuscripts.  Getting back to the musical aspects of this trio, plain and simple...it borders on genius.  The first movement (unusually short) is bursting with unbridled passion.  The second, a well planned out intermezzo; it is slightly disturbing and creepy in an impish sort of way.  The third is almost choral-like in places and well developed.  The fourth, is a lengthy movement.  It opens with a slow progression of chords which give way to a soaring but playful theme which effortlessly turns into a long, majestic and dramatic section of development.  This gives way to a romance/prayer-like central section which is searingly (is there such a word?) beautiful.  The whole lot is then shuffled up, developed and just when you think it is reaching the final climax, Kroeger has a little joke for the listener by restating a giddy version of the opening playful theme (3 measures), a rapidly rising run and bang...finis!  While this composition equals the Foote, op.5, it is technically easier for all three players.

Gareth Vaughan

Where is the Kroeger archive, please?

Gareth Vaughan

LateRomantic75

Many thanks, Ken, for your extensive reply. That trio sounds nothing if not tantalizing!

Ken P

Gareth Vaughan,

Might one inquire as to your interest in Kroeger?

Gareth Vaughan

I would like to see the Piano Concerto. It might be possible to get Hyperion interested in it.

Ken P

Gareth Vaughan,

Sounds like a wonderful project.  If memory serves, being a pianist, the full score is there.  Hopefully, it is in good condition.  I dealt with an exceptionally helpful gentleman there.  Bradley Short, Music Librarian, Gaylord Music Library, Washington University, St. Louis, MO 63130, (314) 935-5529.  His email is: short@wustl.edu.  I hope this helps.

Gareth Vaughan

Many thanks. According to the catalog, the full score and orchestral parts are present.

edurban

Might make a nice coupling for the Horace Wadham Nicholl concerto, though that will require a set of parts and a nice, legible conductor's score...We've discussed this piece in an earlier thread.  There's also a wonderful Nicholl Piano Trio, which I copied out  and made parts for about 30 years ago (and is hopefully still somewhere in the trackless wilderness of my apartment...

David

Ken P

David,

I assume the Nicholl you speak of is the one found in New York Public Library?