News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung piano trios

Started by chill319, Wednesday 29 January 2014, 00:43

Previous topic - Next topic

edurban

The very one.  It now occurs to me that I copied only the first movement of Nicholl's trio, with the idea of interesting my ex-wife's trio in it...but we got divorced before that could happen!  the Nicholl piece I copied out in whole was the string quartet (mind-bending double fugue for the last movement, that one...)

What a lot of work it was  :P ... that was before really good music-copying software, of course.

David

LateRomantic75

I shouldn't have forgotten Volkmar Andreae's marvelous Piano Trio no. 2! It's an eclectic yet personal work, drawing from influences as diverse as Brahms, Faure, and Impressionism. Despite its eclectic nature, it is a cohesive and powerful work. Andreae's first piano trio is a more through-and-through Brahmsian affair, but its melodic invention and sheer exuberance puts it above many other Brahms-influenced chamber works of the time in my book (e.g. those by von Herzogenberg, which I'm afraid don't do much for me).

Alan Howe

Quotethose by von Herzogenberg, which I'm afraid don't do much for me

...whereas I'm just grateful to have yet more wonderfully composed works written in the central Austro-German tradition.

eschiss1

Carl Loewe's Grand trio (published in 1830) is pretty good (but I don't think it's available commercially; I've heard it from a radio recording which one of the members here sent me a bit back. Haven't listened to it in awhile, unfortunately; shall try to rectify that and be more specific than, well, "pretty good".) Magnard's piano trio I seem to recall being a typical work of his though not as good as his later symphonies or string quartet, but still a very good work (again, haven't heard it in awhile, will try to fix -that- too); Bronsart's G minor (with its maybe somewhat Chopin-funeral-reminiscent, violin in its lowest register (at first), slow movement, just for instance) - and (I'm guessing I probably should only be mentioning one...) Alkan's now several-times-recorded trio in G minor (and quite inventive, though probably the least of his 3 better-known chamber works (not counting, say, a parrot funeral march)- still, the slow movement, where the piano holds off until late in the movement, is quite something, e.g.) is also one I shouldn't be forgetting...