Noskowski Symphony No. 3 (From Spring to Spring) - Sterling Records New Release

Started by ken, Sunday 02 February 2014, 03:01

Previous topic - Next topic

ken

I just received an email from Bo at Sterling Records.  Noskowski Symphony No. 3 (From Spring to Spring) will be released on Sterling this month (February 2014).

LateRomantic75

Splendid news! I discovered this lovely work through YouTube and can safely say that it as fine (or perhaps even finer) a work as the composer's freshly invigorating and strongly melodic First Symphony (with which the Third shares many similar characteristics). Any idea what it will be coupled with? The symphony lasts 40 minutes long, so there's ample room for filler works. As for unrecorded orchestral works by Noskowski, I know of the Symphonic Variations on Chopin's Prelude in A, op. 28/7 (subtitled From the Life of a Nation), a Polonaise elegiaque in E minor, and a Marche funebre, op. 53.

Alan Howe

Oh, wow. This is one of the most individual unsung romantic symphonies you'll hear. Snap it up as soon as it appears. And well done once again to Bo Hyttner!

Gareth Vaughan

semloh

Yes, indeed, Sterling are to be congratulated on their Noskowski series. Apart from the operas, I don't think there's much significant by him that's unavailable on CD, so maybe is their last one.

ken

Finally, after many months of delay, the Noskowski 3rd Symphony will be released in July 2014.

You can find information and clips here:
http://www.sterlingcd.com/catalogue/cds1101.html

Alan Howe

eschiss1

It's the one of the three that (because of BBC rebroadcast of a Polish Radio recording) I've known the longest - enjoyable piece, I think, looking forward to hearing its first official release. :)

Alan Howe

Just received the CD. I'd say the symphony was the finest Polish romantic symphony - gorgeous harmonies, melodies galore and an individuality which marks the piece out in comparison with its two (very fine, but much earlier) predecessors.

Tapiola

I'm reviving this thread (sorry for that), but I couldn't avoid to comment how amazing this symphony is! A work of a tremendous calibre, wonderfully evocative, subtle and energizing, his finest utterance IMHO. It is in a sort of late-romantic idiom, somewhat far from the previous two ones. I find a link between this work and that one by Glazunov, The Seasons. Both works have that magic, that taste so appealing about these times of the year, and a quite effective orchestration to suggest a miriad of moods.