Reinecke string quartet recordings?

Started by Sharkkb8, Monday 10 February 2014, 01:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkkb8

Greetings from Hawaii, all.  I share the members' enthusiasm for the Kickstarter Reinecke project of Michael Samis (mentioned in another thread), and will definitely be purchasing the finished product in due course.  What I'm wondering here is....the aforesaid Reinecke cello concerto does seem to be a large hole in an otherwise generally available canon of music - but the Reinecke string quartets (of which there appear to be 5) seem to comprise another curious absence.  Most all his other chamber work seems to be represented to one degree or another - any thoughts on what might be wrong with all 5 quartets, to merit such a lack of recording interest?
Gregory

eschiss1

I've only heard nos.2 and 4 (over at IMSLP - see

Quartet no.2 and
Quartet no.4 ; both performed by Steve's Bedroom Band. Thanks, matesic) - and both seem rather good to me. 

That's never been the main factor accounting for what gets recorded commercially I should think...; a piece if not already fairly well-established needs its advocates at various stages of the process - or so I am given to understand to some extent, guessing to some extent...