Dora Pejačević’s complete solo piano works from cpo – a future release

Started by Peter1953, Sunday 09 February 2014, 16:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

According to the booklet notes included in the 3 CD box Complete Piano Works by Heinrich & Elisabeth von Herzogenberg (which has given me so much listening pleasure so far) in 2013 the pianist Nataša Veljković has recorded for cpo the complete solo piano works by Dora Pejačević.
I think this will be a release to look forward to.

eternalorphea

eschiss1

If anyone's heard/has the earlier recordings- on Nova Classics of Vienna (a violin sonata, cello sonata, the piano concerto) and others (Jugoton of Zagreb recordings of her chamber music (including various piano works, 1982 LP - notturnos op.50, plus opp. 32a&b, opp.54 a&b, capriccio op.47, + piano quintet) and 2 intermezzi for piano solo (multi-composer collection, 1980 LP)) - and could compare with the various recent recordings (of the piano quintet, of the piano works once released, etc.) - appreciated :)!

eternalorphea

Nataša Veljković (who recorded Pejačević's solo piano compositions for CPO) is having an all-Pejačević piano recital on 18th November 2014. Hope it will be recorded and broadcasted on the radio..
http://www.oebv.com/aktiv/2014/konzert.html
Dora Pejačević (1885-1923)
Klaviersonate Nr. 1, Op. 36, b-Moll
Nocturno Nr. 1, Op. 50
Zwei Klavierskizzen, Op. 44 (An Dich! Vor Deinem Bild!)
Caprice, Op. 54 (b)
Blütenwirbel, Op. 45
Nocturno Nr. 2, Op. 50
Klaviersonate Nr. 2, Op. 57

Gareth Vaughan

Does anyone know, please, if there is a modern recording planned (or, indeed, currently available) of her piano concerto?

mjkFendrich

There should come a modern recording from cpo - I haven't got any details about this.
You can find a pretty good live version from 11/2013 with soloist Martina Filjak on YT
(the orchestra is not in top form):

http://youtu.be/1c-BXU8OvMg

(I guess it is the channel our member eternalorphea).

Then there exists a recording by Pavica Gvozdic, piano; Symphony Orchestra of Croatian Radiotelevision, conductor Mladen Tarbuk
(I don't know anything about the recording date), here the orchestra is better, but the soloist isn't as inspired as Martina Filjak.

eternalorphea

From pianist Hans Joerg (Jörg) Fink's web-site

Radioaufnahmen: Scott Joplin, 20 Ragtimes, zum Teil 4-händig mit Gerard Wyss (DRS 2); Rober Suter, Sonate; Robert Schumann, Sonate fis-moll; Dora Pejacevic, Klavierkonzert; J.S.Bach, Klavierkonzerte (mit Chamber Symphony Basel); Lieder und Duette mit Brigitte Balley und Antoinette Faes; Friedrich Kuhlau, Sonate mit Flöte; Werke von Schumann, Brahms, Weber und Kelterborn mir Fabio di Casola. Hans Joerg Fink gewidmete Werke für Klavier solo von Julia Schwartz u. Frederic Bolli; Gion Antoni Derungs, Trio op. 159; Johannes Brahms, Trio op. 114 (mit Avalon Trio - Radio Rumantsch Chur). Zahlreiche Werke für Saxophon und Klavier mit Iwan Roth und Marcos Weiss.

mjkFendrich

... and there is - of course - Sigrid Trummer's recording of the PC on the CD 'Frauentöne vol.1'

released by RE NOVA CLASSICS (RNC 990909). I've listened to some excerpts of this
interpretation on YT (from one of Corentin Boissier's channels), but haven't been pleased.   

britishcomposer

The CD is difficult to obtain. A couple of years ago I emailed to the label's manager, Andreas Zadeyan. He told me that the CD is available directly from him at 29 Euros including package and posting. His email-address is: office@renovaclassics.com

Moreover Volker Banfield told me that he wasn't much impressed by the Concerto. According to him it did not belong to Pejacevic's best works. He explained that you wouldn't do a favour to an unsung composers to record every piece regardless of its quality. Therefore I suppose that he is not cpo's candidate for a recording of the concerto.

Gareth Vaughan

Having listened to the YouTube performance I must say I find this concerto really lovely. I would happily pay good money for a fine modern performance/recording of it. IMHO it should be on Hyperion's list.

eternalorphea

Volker Banfield was just jelause that CPO had a deal with the MIC (Croatian music informations center) about who is going to play what. Two Serbian/former Yugoslav pianists (Aleksandar Madžar, Nataša Veljković), who are good old friends or acquiantances with some members of the Croatian music elite in Zagreb.

Students of Arbo Valdma: Jasminka Stančul, Rita Kinka, Nataša Veljković, Aleksandar Madžar, Zoltan Peter, Đorđe Milojković, Vladimir Valjarević, Dorian Leljak, Dejan Sinadinović, and many others..

britishcomposer

eternalorphea: when has this deal between cpo and the Croatian MIC been settled? My email-conversation with Mr Banfield happened about three years ago. I wouldn't like to accuse him of jelousy prematurely.

eternalorphea

I don't see where the problem is; anyhow, both Veljković and Madžar are better pianists than Benfield (judging by their performances).. The Dora Pejačević project was initiated, led in cooperation with and partially financed by the MIC. Additional support/influence came from Austria, where Pejačević's son count Theodor von Lumbe and some other noble relatives live. You really believe in fairytales, don't you? e. g. CPO heard of some Pejačević balkan princess/music fairy/whatever, and readily decided to play record publish her complete legacy

britishcomposer

I am sorry. I did not want to challenge your statements. Nor did I want to defend Mr Banfield whom I don't know personally apart from our short email contact. I just wanted to be sure that we don't impute jelousy to him without any proofs.