Rudi Stephan 1887-1915

Started by giles.enders, Saturday 28 June 2014, 09:53

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

Thought I would draw peoples attention to a forthcoming broadcast of Rudi Stephan's opera  Die Ersten Menschen, it is on BBC radio 3 on Thursday 3.7.2014

Alan Howe

Not sure whether that's for us, Giles...

eschiss1

Erm... why? "If you are in any doubt, and in any event if the music was written after 1918, please email or PM a moderator before posting."

There's no reason I know of to have any doubt about Stephan's music, and if any of it was composed after 1918, then run for the hills, the zombies are coming...

Alan Howe

Well, there's certainly a fair body of music written prior to 1918 which doesn't fit here - as you must know, Eric. Stuff by Stravinsky, Bartok, Schoenberg for a start. 1918 is only a guideline, after all.

Actually, his language is probably no more advanced than, say, that of Schreker. Try this link to a historic performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBM1QH6KLvc
Not that I can stand this sort of post-Wagnerian chromatic wandering, but...

eschiss1

That's why I quoted/included and responded (very, very, very, very briefly) to both clauses- not just the pre/post-1918 one. *sigh*

I am familiar with some of Stephan's music- from score, anyway. (At least one work is available @ IMSLP.)  (Edit: which seems to be down at the moment and I gather this has happened a few times in the last few days. ... Ah, well.)

Rethinking what I was about to say, harmonic _progression_ is closer to what distinguishes/borders the two eras ("high Romanticism" from certain post/late-Romantic music) than harmonies themselves, so I withdraw something unwritten :D. There's more than one way in which Wagner had his influence on 20th-century music (think Debussy, too.)

Alan Howe

Quote*sigh*

That's often my reaction to having to think (yet again) about how/when to police the boundaries of UC; you don't know the half of it, Eric...

As I have said on a number of occasions, the chromatic wanderings of composers such as Schreker, Braunfels, etc. are really stretching the limits of UC a bit far. The key criteria, which are available for all to consult in our definition of "romantic", are these:

<<...the restrained employment (if at all) of dissonance, a reliance on 19th century models of harmony and construction and the fundamental importance of melody. Mere tonality, without strong elements of these other characteristics, does not qualify music as being romantic in style.>>

An interesting case in point would be something like Busoni's Nocturne Symphonique of 1912/13. To allow or not to allow? - That is the question...

eschiss1

As to Stephan, I admit I don't know his output as well as I probably am claiming. As there are a few works of his on YouTube, some of them live performances, it seems, and given some of the intriguing (from my admittedly odd - generally but also from the POV of this forum - Point Of View) things that are often said about him and his works (not just about his sad end - I'll admit to a soft spot of sorts for writers and composers who died in war and particularly the World Wars..., Saki among the writers..., etc. ...) - 

anyhow... hrm. Yes. Will go have a listen soon myself, will check too to see if we already have anything in our uploads/downloads/other sitcoms section...

JimL

By those standards, Alan, I'd have to say that Reger's VC passes muster as 'Romantic', while his PC, at least IMHO, does NOT!!!!

eschiss1

It's a good thing we're only talking about unsung composers and music here, so late Liszt isn't even a subject.

Alan Howe

Quotewhile his PC, at least IMHO, does NOT!

What? Not even that incredibly romantic slow movement - one of the most glorious in all the repertoire?

Anyway - back to Stephan....

giles.enders

What! No one listened to the broadcast to give their opinion, shame. Oh well.

eschiss1

let's see. Broadcast is on Thursday. My ears, unlike those of certain fictional horses, don't hear into the future :)

adriano

Stephan's "Die ersten Menschen" is available on NAIVE CD 5028, but more important is the magnificent KOCH SCHWANN CD 11623, featuring all masterworks. "Liebeszauber", sung by Fischer-Dieskau is maginficent. Stephan can be considered a "late post-Romantic", influenced by Mahler, Strauss, Debussy and Janacek and surely desrves a forum in the UC. He is a front-victim of WW1.

Alan Howe

Glad to have your opinion, Adriano. Thanks for enlightening me.

giles.enders

Sorry eschiss 1, I am in Amalfi and have lost track of time, gazing out at a shimmering sea.