If You Had To Be Stuck On An Island W/One Piano Concerto...

Started by J Joe Townley, Thursday 20 February 2014, 02:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Regrettably, the Perreur-Lloyd PC to which Joe refers lies beyond the stylistic bounds of UC. Not a very 'grateful' composition anyway. I greatly prefer Townley in C minor!!

J Joe Townley

I cannot locate the unknown concerto by Moszkowski. All that turns up is his Opus 59. If you had a link to a recording, that would be great, thanks much.   :)

Alan Howe

J Joe Townley

>>>>>Regrettably, the Perreur-Lloyd PC to which Joe refers lies beyond the stylistic bounds of UC. Not a very 'grateful' composition anyway. I greatly prefer Townley in C minor!!

@ Alan: Thank you so much, Alan. I have a "real" fan of the concerto now. If you happen to have...oh....a million friends and acquaintances or so, please pass the concerto along to them ;-)

Re the Moszowski. It appears to be just rumor now. Nothing material. We shall wait and hope.

Alan Howe

No, it's not rumour. Do look at my previous post and follow the link, Joe.

And I do genuinely like your PC 2 and hope to hear it performed and/or recorded one day.

jerfilm

Moszkowski E Major is my first choice.  And sorry, Scharwenka fans, but a close second is his 3rd......

Jerry

Revilod

If Medtner's concertos still count as unsung, then it would have to be his third.

Gounod21

I agree with jerfilm, but in reverse order of choice: Scharwenka 3 (a masterpiece of cyclic compression, and melodic beauty)and then Moszkowski(E major!) for poignancy, beautiful, idiomatic piano writing and a bitter-sweetness,a  sort of "it must be so" I cannot (quite) put into words!(the end of the finale, with its despairing slow theme followed by a perfunctory ending). Steve

jerfilm

Yes, Steve, and the romp in the Finale ALWAYS gives me goosebumps...... 8) 8) 8)

Jerry

Gounod21

Yes, a sort of sad romp, despite everything type romp lol; I like a good (musical!) romp; that's why I love Ponti, eg in finale of the Raff PC

semloh

Thank goodness I will never actually be stuck on an island with just one piano concerto! Whichever  I chose, I would always regret not choosing a different one.  ::)

jerfilm

Yes, that really IS a dreadful thought.  Only one piece of each genre.  Gives me a headache even to think about it......

J

Dave

I'm picking Zygmunt Stojowski's Piano Concerto no. II. It's an amazing piece and the theme et variations last movement is among the best written.
I agree with the Svetlanov and Medtner (Third Concerto) mentioning.

LateRomantic75

Man, tough choice between Atterberg, Bortkiewicz 1, Alnaes, and Medtner 2 and 3. They're all equally fantastic works in my opinion. The first three have tunes and bravura that give Rachmaninoff a run for his money and the two Medtner have a melancholic depth that is very moving.