X. Scharwenka Piano Sonata No.2

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 08 March 2014, 22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

...has just blown me away. I had no idea it was such a superb - and touching - piece. Just as I thought there was no more Scharwenka to discover, along comes this absolute gem. Anyone else know it? (I expect you all do....)

Mark Thomas

Well, that's decided my listening schedule for tomorrow, then. I haven't listened to any of Scharwenka's piano music for many years and have no memory of any of it . After such a ringing endorsement, Alan, I'll just have to look out Seta Tanyel's series and give it a spin.

eschiss1

I don't think I've heard the 2nd sonata yet- I have the first volume of Tanyel's series (Collins Classics incarnation, bought at a booksale) with the (revision of?) the 1st sonata, the Polish Dances and some other works (took me awhile to notice that the notewriter to the disc's name should have rung a bell, or rather, ...), but besides that, the 4 concertos and the symphony CD on Stirling, I haven't heard that much by him, I think.

edurban

...And may I also suggest the big set of variations, op.48?  Grand, inventive stuff.  The notes to the Tanyel recording mention a memorable performance at a 1919 concert in Berlin to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Scharwenka's debut.  The pianist was a promising young fellow named Claudio Arrau.

David

pianobaba

Which recording was it? I don't think I've heard this sonata.

alharris

I am really looking forward to the June release on Onyx of the Scharwenka Sonata No. 2 and the Tchaikovsky G major Sonata played by the outstanding Joseph Moog:

http://www.onyxclassics.com/comingsoon.php

pianobaba

Silly me, I do have this recording, I have the first 3 (or 4) volumes of Scharwenka with Seta Tanyel (I should get the 4th...), I listened to the sonata again last night, and I do love it. I think he's a great composer.