Robert Fuchs piano sonatas

Started by chill319, Tuesday 25 May 2010, 23:54

Previous topic - Next topic

chill319

Recently a music lover uploaded to IMSLP the three (published) piano sonatas by Robert Fuchs. I've played the first and am moved to praise it.

Born the year before Wagner manned the Dresden barricades, Fuchs wrote his first (published) piano sonata around the time of the Ring's premiere (sonata pub. by Kistner ca. 1876). I imagine the Hanslicks of the day saw the sonata as authentically Brahmsian. In truth it sounds more like a paean to Schubert. Though it does not rise quite to the heights or plumb quite the depths of Schubert's last six sonatas, its kindred heart clearly moves in the same currents. Fuchs ignores not only Wagner but Schumann and Mendelssohn as well. Some voicings might remind one of Brahms, but alternatively they might recall Bergmüller, Hiller or Heller if one knows those composers.

For the pianists especially among forum members, I recommend this work.

Alan Howe

chill319

Thanks, Alan! Blumenthal gets around. I was listening to him playing DeVreese this morning.

It might be worth quoting Wikipedia here: "Robert Fuchs taught many notable composers, including George Enescu, Gustav Mahler, Hugo Wolf, Jean Sibelius, Alexander von Zemlinsky, Erich Korngold, Franz Schmidt, Franz Schreker, Richard Heuberger, Leo Fall, Erkki Melartin, and Leo Ascher." I don't know the music of Heuberger, Fall, or Ascher, but there isn't a weak link among any of the others, different as they are.  Can't help thinking Fuchs passed something on to them.

Jonathan

Hi Chill319,
Thanks for the information about Fuchs - I have his concerto in CD (in Hyperion's Romantic Piano concerto series) and I shall take your advice and have a look at the sonatas on IMSLP at the weekend.