News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Bortkiewicz

Started by Rob H, Thursday 12 February 2015, 13:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob H

I see that Nadejda Vlaeva is recording a CD of Bortkiewicz piano music for Hyperion! The only piece I know is definitely on it is the Mazurka op64-1 which apparently was only discovered very recently - I have no info on how or where but that's what Nadejda says. There is a video of her E-G performance here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0PIgjKGtj0

In the introduction to this performance she says it was found gathering dust in a publisher's archive, a manuscript that SB had sent with the hope of it being published in Germany but the resources shortage following World War II got in the way. One hopes that other solos by SB marked "this score is still missing" were in the same location.
These missing items, according to Bortkiewicz.com are:

Op 49 Zwei Klavierstücke
Op 58 Jugoslawische Suite "Adria"
Op 61 Fantasiestücke
Op 64 3 Mazurkas
Op 66 Six Préludes 2, 4-6
Op 68 Tom Sawyer's Abenteuer

A CD with all these on would be wonderful but if the only new item is this precious little Mazurka I'll still be a happy man.
Rob

alharris

This is wonderful news. I treasure her recording of the Second Sonata.

Rob H

This is from the Bortkiewicz website - Bortkiewicz.com.>>

New York based pianist Nadejda Vlaeva has recorded an all Bortkiewicz program, including the world première recordings of the recently discovered scores of the Jugoslavia suite opus 58, Fantasiestücke opus 61 and the 3 mazurka's opus 64. Other works include Lyrica Nova opus 59, The second piano sonata opus 60, 2 preludes from opus 66 and España opus 63 no 4 (originally composed for violin and piano), reworked for solo piano by the composer. The CD will be issued by Hyperion records.

So at least that three more opus numbers accounted for and on the strength of her Mazurka playing it will be a marvellous album.
Rob

Rob H

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68118

A March release from, Hyperion. Top of my wants list (well except for Marston records "Landmarks of recorded pianism" and Josef Lhevinne complete live and radio recordings but they won't be out for at least a year).

musiclover

I wonder what happened to the Dutton recording of the Violin Concerto? Does anyone have any news of this?

Herbert Pauls

hammerplay, I had not heard of the forthcoming Lhevinne release. Where can one find more info about that. It's not on Marston's site yet, although there is a teaser about the forthcoming Landmarks release (mouth watering!)