Felicien David : Melodies

Started by mikehopf, Saturday 12 April 2014, 00:28

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Gorgeous songs by the "French Schubert" on the Aparte label available from Qobuz.

Friesner

Thanks for the heads-up.  Amazon.co.uk has it listed for release on 5th May (though apparently you can download the mp3 right now).  No idea when or if it will turn up here in the 'States, but I'll be on the lookout....

dafrieze

I bought, downloaded and listened to this recording over the weekend.  Not quite a French Schubert, although there are some faint similarities, but these are strikingly attractive songs, well performed. 

eschiss1

It's not always, hopefully not even usually, "1-10 quality" (what a thoroughly boring subject!!!) that's being spoken of, when one says "French Schubert", but qualities... - of musical character, of... - I would be interested to know what comparisons are being made more specifically myself, though.

(When it comes down to it I haven't always, for all my listening life, been convinced that Schubert is the Austrian Schubert- so to speak- where the former definition is concerned. In any case, comparisons can be more interesting than that, and should.)

Friesner

eschiss 1 says  "When it comes down to it I haven't always, for all my listening life, been convinced that Schubert is the Austrian Schubert- so to speak- where the former definition is concerned."

Forgive me please if my synapses have fused or garbled, but I have no idea who Schubert could be if not the Austrian one.  Surely you cannot mean the Dresden one?  (Unsung and welcome to it!)  I quite agree that 1-10 pigeon-holings (?) are asinine; but on those days when I am constrained to play that game, Schubert - the Austrian, and substantively the only - zooms straight into the upper echelons every time.  But of course he's by no means unsung, therefore not appropriate here; which of course is why I bothered to mention the Dresden one at all....

Seriously - I'd appreciate a clarification of your intent. 

eschiss1

I wasn't entirely clear- I meant that I haven't always been convinced that the Austrian Schubert was worth all the fuss that's made on his account, either. (My view is more positive, on the whole, now...)

So that Schubert at the first half of the sentence would be the actual Schubert, and the Austrian Schubert would be Schubert as he's regarded as an ideal 10 and being compared to other lieder composers (if that's what's being done.)

Don't yet know David's music well enough except from some instrumental chamber scores which I've skimmed, though.  I think I've seen some of his mélodies in score at IMSLP, though- ah yes, there are 27 of them at least there (in the Collections subfolder.)

(Anyone know anything about his symphony in E-flat published 1846, btw...?)

jdperdrix

I've listened to his melodies again yesterday. Like his chamber music (trios, quartets, quintets), they are obviously "musique de salon". But they are very good in this genre! Keep in mind that most chamber music in the 19th century, including Schubert's lieder, was intended for private performances (the so-called "soirées musicales"). Notable exceptions are Beethoven's last quartets, too serious, too long and too difficult for such private sessions by skilled amateurs.
About David's numbered symphonies, I've never heard any of them. I don't know if they have been performed recently. I'm waiting...