News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Moszkowski - Boabdil

Started by semloh, Monday 21 April 2014, 02:56

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

The recent thread on Moszkowski reminded me of how much I like the music from his opera Boabdil, mentioned therein. There is, I believe a ballet within the opera, but I only have the "Entrance March".  I'm not sure if that is part of the ballet, but it is most enjoyable. As far as I can tell, there are no CDs of the opera or any associated music, apart from some piano versions, and an orchestral arrangement, of the short "Malaguena".

Does anyone know if the music - or, indeed, the opera - has been recorded?

eschiss1

A march ("Moorish March"), possibly another name for the same one, on 78s, I think. Also:

a 1942 radio broadcast, which has been remastered on a limited-issue CD (available at at least one library), contained "Boabdil, der letzte Maurenkönig. Malagueña" in orchestral form, I think;

A Dal Segno CD of old recordings remastered contains a piano recording (Rudolph Ganz, piano) of his Malagueña, Op.49, No.1 (what's the relation, one asks? Well, his opera Boabdil, der letzte Maurenkönig has Op.49...)

some others of excerpts, too, I think, between 1910-ish (Moszkowski conducting the Zon-o-Phone orchestra in the same Malagueña) and 1995 or so (issue dates).