Auber: Gustave III ou Le Bal masqué

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 30 January 2013, 11:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Does anyone know this opera? Comments would be welcome, please...

Josh

I think Auber is a very under-rated tunesmith, and I'm a big fan of his.  I do have a complete recording of this opera, but I haven't listened to it in several years.  I've got it playing right now.  The overture is about what you'd expect from him: full of fine melodies and cheerful.

I'm skipping around a bit listening to random bits, and I'm being reminded of why I put this in my "warm storage" (as opposed to "cold storage").

I regret that I lack the musical vocabulary to describe any of what I'm hearing, but I will say that I really like this work.  I commented recently about liking Meyerbeer's Robert le Diable... well, I think that Auber's Gustave III is a musically much better work than that.  I don't think it's as good as Fra Diavolo, if you've ever heard that one.  Auber tended toward what might be called conservative orchestration, making the overall sound very appealing to me.  There are several really good melodies in this thing, too.

If you want to hear some excerpts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHUm6mNhfKY

But it's not all happy music, not at all... it gets a bit darker than you might expect.

Alan Howe

Sounds good to me. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I have duly ordered the opera!

Mark Thomas

I probably have the same set as Josh but, as I'm away from home at present, can't remind myself of it as he has done. However, what he says chimes with my memories of it and I have absolutely no doubt that it'll be right up your street, Alan.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Mark. Your recommendation is appreciated.

Alan Howe

The recitatives are too long, but the music's absolutely wonderful, at times bordering on the sublime (see the Trio at the start of Act 2 - CD1, track 12).