News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Von Klenau - Symphony 9

Started by semloh, Monday 21 April 2014, 05:38

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

A huge thank you to BerlinExpat for uploading the majestic 9th symphony by von Klenau.  :)

What a truly magnificent symphony, and one that I am sure I am going to play many times. Am I alone in finding it brimming with beauty, pathos, and triumph? A great neglected work, in my view.

Friesner

Wow.  Thank you ever so much for a truly monumental upload.  I really like it when some nice person makes my day.   :) :) :) 

I have the DaCapo CDs of the 1st, 5th and 7th, and have been wondering if there was any chance we'd ever get to hear any more of Klenau's ridiculously-neglected works.  Well, here's a big step indeed (too bad they haven't issued it to public sale, but maybe that's planned?), and I can only hope there's more to be found one of these days soon.  (Although - considering that this 9th is longer than anything in Bruckner or Mahler except the M.3 or when Celibidache was involved - it's perhaps not the best place to start trying to sell this neglected person to the public.  Still, hope doth spring eternal....)

britishcomposer

Alan Howe

eschiss1

The score and orchestral parts (and vocal score) should still be available (typeset and free! nice company...) at Danish Centre for Music Publication here -- http://www.kb.dk/en/nb/dcm/udgivelser/klenau/9_symfoni.html. The page says that a recording (possibly more or less the same performance which BC taped and uploaded) seems to still be available here (streamable- perhaps not readily downloadable without additional software), but they may take that down soon with the recording appearing.

(The preface to the typeset full score makes for really, really interesting reading, imhonesto. At least it explains why DaCapo has only released a few of his symphonies- the others seem to be mostly lost, fragmentary, etc. (or awaiting discovery like his 8th and 9th were, maybe?...) - though the existence of the lost symphonies is at least attested to in other sources, not just in a skip in the numbering ;), and some, like no.3, seem to have existed in a shape to be premiered, iirc even if lost or partially so now.)