Main Menu

Lalo concertos

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 10 April 2014, 20:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

This new recording from Talent includes the VC in F, CC and PC:
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Talent/DOM381011

eschiss1

No room for the Concerto Russe, alas, I guess...

Alan Howe

This is a wonderful CD: superbly played by the soloists, beautifully accompanied by the accomplished Nice orchestra (who knew?) and very well recorded. An ideal introduction to Lalo's solo concertos.

adriano

The Concerto Russe is available on a CD from Sony Classical SMK 93036 (2003), played by Thomas Christen and the WDR Orchestra Cologne, conduced by Stefan Blunier. This is one of 2 CDs dedicated to all violin-and-orchestra work by Lalo.

eschiss1

Thanks- to clarify, I've heard it a few times and wasn't implying it was entirely unrecorded (... I'm not sure I want to hear the Symphonie espagnole again for awhile, I guess- I don't know- but I do really enjoy a lot of other works of his including, as I recall, the symphony in G minor, his string quartet (one or both versions, not sure), his trio in C minor (and maybe the other two), several of the concertos, etc. etc. ... anyway. Thanks!! Will probably enjoy this release too if I run across it (well- especially on the radio (first?)...), despite what I've just said. :) :) )

Alan Howe

I think you mean Thomas Christian, Adriano.

adriano

Sorry Alan for my mistake, it's Christian, of course...

Alan Howe

Do you know the performances, Adriano?

alberto

Once I heard the Orch. Philharmonique de Nice in an actual concert.
It recorded several Cd for Forlane Label; among them one coupling Mahler Kindertoten., Zemlinsky Six Maeterlinck songs and....Elgar Sea Pictures (Birgitta Svenden, singer, John Carewe cond.).

Alan Howe

They sound very good on this new CD...

adriano

@ Alan
Yes and I have both CDs. I think they are very good.
Incidentally, my CD with Brun's complete works for piano and orchestra has just come out on Guild GMCD 7409. Trying to upload a sampler with a slideshow, maybe you can help me? It's a rather large file...

Alan Howe

Alas, I don't have the technical know-how...