Shchedrin's Concertos for Orchestra 4&5 on Naxos

Started by wunderkind, Tuesday 01 June 2010, 12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

wunderkind

For those of you here who can tolerate some modernism, I highly recommend the new Naxos release of heretofore unrecorded works by Rodion Shchedrin (b.1932).

The two Concertos for Orchestra are marvelous, kaleidoscopic pieces.  The Fourth, subtitled "Round Dances," presents Shchedrin's own folk-inspired tunes.  The music waxes and wanes as different instruments take center stage - and the interplay is magical. 

The Fifth - "Four Russian Songs" - is described by the composer as a sort of ride in a troika, the music depicting the passing scene.  It opens with a hoofbeat rhythm and continues on, impressing the listener with Shchedrin's brilliant orchestration.

A third work, "Crystal Psaltery," dedicated to Takemitsu, is in a different sound world and, for me, not as interesting as its discmates.  A smaller ensemble offers this static music, which nevertheless glistens and flows very much like the works of its honoree.  In itself its an interesting piece - but its unfortunate coupling with the two foregoing Concertos - hard acts to follow - places "Crystal Psaltery" at a handicap.

A fascinating disc to be sure.

Alan Howe

Fascinating, maybe, but beyond the scope of this forum. Let's not elaborate on this one here.

wunderkind

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 01 June 2010, 13:35
Fascinating, maybe, but beyond the scope of this forum. Let's not elaborate on this one here.

Why not?  This music really is no more "advanced" in its way than that of Lajtha's, for one example.  As a matter of fact, Shchedrin's often is more interesting than Lajtha's - and would prove a refreshing change of pace for some of the posters here.

Alan Howe

OK, but let's remember what the forum's primarily for when we post.

wunderkind

Dare we forget?    :o

Anyway, don't worry.  There'll be little, if any, discussion re Shchedrin.

Alan Howe

Delicious Manager

Just wanted to register my surprise at Shchedrin being 'persona non grata' for this forum. Most of his music is strongly tonally based (and of a very high quality, it has to be said). A shame ...