Pizzetti's Canti della stagione alta (1930)

Started by Gerhard Griesel, Tuesday 10 June 2014, 20:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerhard Griesel

A brief search of the UC board shows that Ildebrando Pizzetti's lovely piano concerto has so far been mentioned only briefly. I bought the Marco Polo CD some years ago, and as I have done before, I did not listen to it properly and relegated it to the backwater of my little collection. This week's listening enabled me to discover some wonderful music. In particular, I was thrilled by the last few minutes of the final movement. Listen to the magnificent timpani score. There is a version available on YouTube.

YankeeMusic

Thanks for the reminder that I should listen, again, to this beautiful piece. 

As a matter of fact, I've a number of Pizzetti discs and his music is consistently attractive.  I enjoy, particularly, the Marco Polo (now Naxos) disc of Pizzetti's Piano Trio, Violin Sonata, and the Tre Canti (originally for cello & piano - here adapted for violin).  Lovely chamber music.

Wheesht

I bought the Bottega Discantica CD with the piano concerto played by Bruno Canini about a year ago and I really enjoy that recording. It also contains Tre canzoni, Due canti d'amore, Preludio (l'ombra), Foglio d'album, but I mostly play it for the concerto.