Hamilton Harty (1879-1941)

Started by YankeeMusic, Friday 13 June 2014, 01:21

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeMusic

No mention of this Irish composer for over 3 years now and it's a shame - his music is thoroughly fetching and lavishly romantic.

The last posts expressed some desire to hear Harty's chamber music.  Of course, since then Hyperion has favored us with a 2-CD set of his Piano Quintet and two String Quartets.

But I'd like to keynote the lush Piano Concerto - which Harty seems to have lifted off of a Rachmaninoff score and then added his own Hibernian touches, especially in the finale.  If you have not heard this work, you owe it to yourself to do so forthwith.

mbhaub

Every St. Patrick's Day I dig out his Irish Symphony (and Stanford's and Sullivan's) and give it a play. His arrangements of Handel (Water Music etc) are of course thoroughly dismissed these days, but that's how I learned 'em and that's how I like 'em! I am not familiar with the chamber music, so thanks for the tip, and I'll look into it for something new to hear.

eschiss1

Hyperion's recorded the quintet and quartets? Neat. If i recall some of those works are still in manuscript and were still unrecorded, so kudos to them...