News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Paul Colberg (1863-1926)

Started by Wheesht, Tuesday 07 July 2020, 10:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

Paul Colberg has been mentioned here just once, in passing, but I think he deserves more attention. He was a prolific composer with an interesting biography. (There is a German book, published in 1907, about his experiences as an itinerant musician: "Als fahrender Musikant in Kalifornien").

He was born in Germany and started out as mechanic before turning to music. After studying in Dresden for a while, he emigrated to the US and became the founder of the German Conservatory of Music Los Angeles. Later he lived in London for some years, where several works were published, and finally he returned to Germany. There is a comprehensive German Wikipedia entry, but no English version (as yet). A fair number of works are on IMSLP including the Kammersinfonie No. 2. The Symphony No. 2 for flute, oboe, clarinet, horn, viola, bassoon and (in the finale) piano is available in manuscript at the Leo Baeck Institute (click on View the folder), and there are two Youtube clips that I have been able to find:
3 Sketches (Arabesque, Melancholie, Fughetta) for piano, played by Philip Sear and part of the Flute Concerto in G minor

eschiss1

Yes, this sort of composer when I see material on IMSLP causes some curiosity. You mention some works were published - do you know of any libraries that hold them? Worldcat, ONB, NUKAT, LoC US, seem to turn up nothing unless I should be looking under an alias or under "Coburg, P." or something... :) (I mean published, not manuscript works as at the Baeck Institute, unless the published works, as is sometimes the case, are now believed to be completely lost :( )

Wheesht

The Berlin Staatsbibliothek has a few items that can be found in their old card catalogue, but other than that I have found very little. I have been in touch with a descendant, though, and I believe the family either have published (as well as manuscript) works or know where to find them.

Gareth Vaughan

I would be very interested indeed if the score of the piano concerto ever came light. I wonder if it is in the possession of the family.

Wheesht

I have contacted the family. Unfortunately, they don't know anything of the whereabouts of the piano concerto, but they have given me the name of the author of the Wikipedia article and I'll contact him tomorrow – he may know something.

Wheesht

The piano concerto was only mentioned once, in the journal Melos in 1921. Any of Colberg's manuscripts that were left after his death must have ended up in the estate of his third wife (who died in 1963). If the concerto has survived it would be a question of finding her heirs...

Gareth Vaughan

Thanks very much for your investigative efforts. Much appreciated.

Wheesht

Apparently, Colberg often referred to himself as a teacher, but it has not been possible so far to find out where he taught, if the claim is indeed true. If the institution were known, its library might be a place to investigate, slim though as the chances of finding anything may be.

Alan Howe

1. The German Wikipedia entry says that around 1889 he co-founded the German Conservatory of Music in Los Angeles. So what happened to that institution?

2. Also: in 1898 he followed the violinist August Wilhelmj to London where the latter secured a post for him as Professor at the 'London Academy'. Question is: which 'Academy' was this?

Wheesht

I have downloaded a digitised copy of the book he wrote in 1907, but have only had a quick look so far. It may not cover his London years, but if it does, I'll mention it here. One chapter is entitled "A Piano Transport through the Mexican Desert" – which certainly makes it sound like a colourful and interesting book.

According to his descendant, the Violin Sonata, which he wrote for Wilhelmj, is a fantastic work. (It's on IMSLP). Wilhelmj was a Professor at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama from 1894, so that may well be where Colberg ended up, too.