Goetz complete piano music from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 21 June 2014, 18:36

Previous topic - Next topic

chill319

Back in the '60s a friend and I took up Goetz's four-hand piano sonata, opus 17, and found it a strong work indeed, somewhat in the Brahmsian manner, well worth the preparation time for performance.  If the solo piano works are as good, this album will be a treat.

eschiss1

I know of only one competing recording offhand, on Genesis (of the complete-ish solo piano works) though I haven't heard it. Out of curiosity, will be interested to know how they compare anyway...

Alan Howe

Audio samples are now available at jpc. Please follow the link in my first post...

John Boyer

I finally listened to this today.  It's lovely stuff, with great sound. 

Alan Howe

John Boyer

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 18 February 2024, 18:59Wow! Did you buy it eight years ago?
In this case, no, it was a recent purchase, but I do have some purchases from 10 years ago -- mostly operas -- still in the shrink wrap.  With books I'm even worse. 

Returning to Goetz, I noticed that this was one of those threads where a new recording is announced, but then never discussed.  I thought it time to put in a good word for old Hermann.

Alan Howe

I have a similar problem - you're not alone. Do tell us what you think of the music...

Mark Thomas

Yes, me too. I add all newly acquired music to a playlist to ensure that it gets listened to in, roughly, the order in which I acquired it. Of course there are "can't wait" exceptions to that. As for Goetz, as I remember the piano music is like the rest of his output: often imbued with a delicacy which is still never slight or merely pretty and, when it's vigorous, it's never raucous.

John Boyer

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 19 February 2024, 09:53I have a similar problem - you're not alone. Do tell us what you think of the music...

It's difficult to put into words what makes the music recorded here so attractive.  Part of it is that Goetz gives his music a sort of dignity that sets it a notch above his many competitors among music's also-rans.  Jacques Barzun once gave a very simple definition of a good book: it's one you want to read again.  Goetz's piano music makes me want to hear it again. 

Alan Howe

Sound good to me. Goetz's music is like that.

semloh

Thanks, John. 
From what you say, it sounds like it's time to re-visit Goetz. I can't recall any of his music, although I know I like it!
I too have CDs unopened - mostly boxed sets - but others almost worn through from repeated plays. ::)

John Boyer

Quote from: semloh on Wednesday 21 February 2024, 07:52Thanks, John. 
From what you say, it sounds like it's time to re-visit Goetz. I can't recall any of his music, although I know I like it!
Do enjoy, and I hope I have not over-stated his case.  I'll admit that I have never been fond of the Symphony in F, despite GBS's wild enthusiasm for it, but I never tire of the Violin Concerto, 2nd Piano Concerto, and the mature chamber works.  Now to this I can add much of the piano music, too. 

Jonathan

Does anyone have any insights into how this compares with the earlier complete piano music recording on Genesis with Adrian Ruiz?

I also have to say that i've yet to hear a piece by Goetz that I don't like!