Right Hand Piano Concertos

Started by giles.enders, Saturday 10 July 2010, 13:42

Previous topic - Next topic

giles.enders

There are numerous piano concertos for the left hand, does anyone know of any for the right?

thalbergmad

The only one that comes to mind is by Henri Cliquet-Pleyel.

I expect there are more, but probably not a great deal.

Personally, i prefer left handed pieces as i lift pint glasses with my right.

Thal

eschiss1

Donald L. Patterson's "One handed: a guide to piano music for one hand" (I don't know how comprehensive it is) may have some answers - the section available in the Google preview shows no concertante works solely for right hand, but the book itself may.  (Again, my local uni. library has it, so I should really just go there and check.)
Eric

Amphissa

Well, you know, if you sit to the left, any concerto for left hand is automagically transcribed for right hand.

;D

TerraEpon

The main reason, outside of commisions by pianists with bad right hands, there's a lot of left hand repertoire and almost nothing for right hand is simple mechanics -- a left hand has a thumb on top which allows a much more musical way of setting the line.

JimL

Point well made.  Also, for some reason, shells always seemed to land to the right of those pianists who got an arm blown off when they were soldiers. :P

P.S. Funny how, when a pianist has a hand go bad, it always seems to be the right one too.  Think Fleisher and Graffman.

giles.enders

There are numerous reasons why pianists may not have use of their left hand. I know of one who had a stroke.  So far my point has been demonstrated by the fact that only one work has been identified.  I am hoping to compile a list and put it on the web.

Delicious Manager

It's not a concerto - or a particularly major piece - but the second of the Op 76 Etudes by Alkan is for the right hand alone.

ahinton

Quote from: Delicious Manager on Monday 12 July 2010, 12:27
It's not a concerto - or a particularly major piece - but the second of the Op 76 Etudes by Alkan is for the right hand alone.
Indeed so - and what an uncharacteristically awkward piece it is to play, too! Alkan rarely fought shy of the kinds of difficulty that are only for the least faint-hearted of pianists, of course, but in almost all cases what he wrote is practical as well as demanding; however, I fear that this study is something of an exception in that regard (or at least parts of its are).

chill319

After the pianist Cyril Smith lost the use of his left hand, Malcolm Arnold wrote a three-hand two-piano concerto for him and his wife.