News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Busoni Concerto Opus XXXIX

Started by Steven Eldredge, Wednesday 29 April 2009, 14:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerhard Griesel

When years ago I heard the Busoni PC (the Hamelin recording) for the first time it caught me. I have not yet listened to any other version, maybe because I am afraid of being disappointed. I can see Mark's point that one may not like it. It is so different from everything else. To me it is the most beautiful PC I have heard up till now. The piano comes across as a percussion instrument, which is very unusual for this genre but adds to the excitement. The choral ending, I agree with e.g. Gareth, is technically maybe not well handled, yet it just adds flavour. I was unaware of the meaning of the words, which Gareth elucidates for us. One is used to nonsensical texts in classical music, though - just think of Mahler's 8 and Grieg's Discovery of Land. I hope that I may also one day have an opportunity to attend a live performance like Steven.

I subsequently bought more Busoni music, but it was not the same as the PC.

eschiss1

earlier or later Busoni? His violin sonatas, violin concerto, and string quartets, e.g. (earlier), or his operas, elegies, late piano music, e.g. (later)? If the latter, yes, I see what you mean.

Alan Howe

The earlier stuff's not really like the PC either, though. Nothing like as original. But the VC ought to prove attractive enough...

eschiss1

there's a few recordings of it on YouTube to try, I'm sure. I quite like it myself...