News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Reuss 3rd symphony

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 31 July 2014, 18:43

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Was it U Oxford or the Free Library of Philadelphia or somewhere else whose catalog listed Reuss' 3rd symphony as having 3 movements so--

1. Poco adagio -- (presumably? just the tempo to the introduction of a Adagio - Allegro movement, but- who knows? Maybe an Adagio first movement)
2. Andante un poco sostenuto --
3. Allegro vivace.

Since a performance allegedly of two consecutive movements of this work was uploaded, supposedly of its two inner movements (implying a 4 movement work) and seemed not to match any 2 consecutive movements listed here anyhow, I recall someone mentioning (I think I've only listened to it once, enjoying it but finding works like his string quintet in F and 2nd string sextet (B minor) better stuff on the whole- so far, so far!...) - anyhow, has there proven to be any solution to this minor mystery-ish thing...? Anyone seen the score (pub. by Giessel, 1907)?

Gareth Vaughan

Bodleian Library (Oxford) has scores of the 3rd and 4th symphonies of Reuss; BL has 5 & 6. Fleisher has scores and parts of 1 & 3. I'm sorry, I haven't seen any of this music. The movts of No. 3 are as listed by Eric in the Fleisher catalogue. No. 1 Op 10 in C minor) also has 3 movts.  I should add that the Bodleian library scores are piano 4 hands arrangements. Those in BL are Partituren.

Mark Thomas

I think I may be guilty of starting this hare running. A few years ago I received from a friend a private recording lasting 15 minutes labelled "Heinrich von Reuss Sinfonie n3 e op28 Auszug". This "extract" turned out to be two movements of roughly equal length and similar character: amiable, lightly-orchestrated, Mendelssohnian, almost serenade-like. I uploaded them here a couple of years ago and aired my assumption that they were two interior movements because neither seemed to have the substance to be a opening movement or a finale. Unfortunately all my files for download were accidentally wiped by the hosting company a few months ago, and I haven't restored them. I've also deleted all the linking posts in the Downloads and Downloads Archive boards, so neither the music, nor my post, are now available. We did discuss this briefly before, Eric, here. So, my apologise if my assumption led anyone astray.