Gounod symphonies from cpo

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 04 July 2014, 10:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

adriano

Caetani is Igor Markevitch's son - and a very good conductor. But, still, don't forget an excellent recording by the Beethoven Akademie conducted by Hervé Niquet on Timpani 1C1102 (2006)

eschiss1

Also is, I believe, related to Roffredo Caetani, a composer mentioned recently in another thread. ;)

adriano

From his marriage with Duchess Topazia Caetani (originaly written with a "G"), Igor (Markevich) had four children, among which Oleg. Composer Roffredo Caetani comes from that noble family, he was the son of Prince Onorato Caetani and a noble Englishwoman. He married a singing pupil of Jean de Reszke. He studied with Liszt and Sgambati and also composed various operas. He was so rich that he could afford to act as a generous mecenate of his own Fondazione Caetani. Brilliant Classics have issued some of his piano works (as it also mentioned in earlier forums in here). Liszt had offered Roffredo a magnificent Bechstein after having discovered his musical talents, the piano is still located at the Oasi di Ninfa, the Caetani castle at Sermoneta (Italy). I made the acquaintance with Oleg Caetani in 2000, when he was conducting at the Zurich Opera. We discovered that both we were recording for Marco Polo, but Oleg had enough of Mr. Heymann sooner than I. The Zurich Orchestra could not get along with his perfectionis's demands and he was not desired anymore. I admire him very much. We had wonderful conversations about Russian music and conducting. I wish I could meet him again one day...

TerraEpon

I'm guessing "No. 3" is the Petite Symphony which is essentially a wind octet with a flute added.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Charles-Gounod.com does list some orchestral works (without concertante instrumental part, e.g. the piano pédalier works recently recorded on Hyperion) besides his symphonies, though- I wonder if his Saltarelle has been recorded, for instance? Or the Marche réligieuse published by Grus in 1878? (Poss. also a scherzo premiered in 1837?...)

chill319

Thanks for documenting your recollections, hadrianus, and as always for your advocacy of George Templeton Strong. A conductor with a temperament inclined to Russian music (Tjeknavorian, for instance) might not be an obvious choice to conduct Gounod. Have you heard him in that repertory?

TerraEpon

Saltarello (at least how it's spelled on my download) is on a Naxos CD called "Italian Festival". No idea about other recordings. It's a nice 'light music' piece.

eschiss1

I think that's how the Gounod site spells it too; I just wondered if Gounod spelled it that way too, and so I improvised :D

adriano

Hi chill319
Havent'heard Tjeknavorian since ages. Since 2009 he concentrates on composing, painting and writing - and getting all kind of awards and medals in the Eastern countries he performs.
Just imagine: on an Iranian Label, there is a 20-CD-box with his compositions (!).
I always liked his full-tempered Russian interpretations. After having lost his contarct with RCA, unfortunately, he recorded with the Armenian Symphony Orchestra various (excellent) Khachaturan CD on the ASV label - which went bankrupt. His "Gayne" and Borodin recordings on RCA are among the best.
He works a lot in Iran and, occasionally, in London and in the USA.
Never heard him conduct Frenc music, I imagine he is not the right man for this repertoire.
Thanks for your compliments re G.T. Strong  :)
Gounod's "Saltarello" (correct spelling, TerraEpon) is also available on some fitness-excercising accompaniment CDs!

Alan Howe

It seems that the CD is to include the slow movement (the only one completed) from an unfinished 3rd Symphony!

<<A sensational world-premiere recording: the fragment of a third symphony by Gounod on CD! Oleg Caetani, the conductor of our recording, has the great good fortune of being so closely acquainted with the Gounod family that its members have allowed him to use the manuscript of the third symphony for a recording....>>