Bristow orchestral music coming from New World Records

Started by edurban, Tuesday 12 August 2014, 01:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Great news indeed. It's at the top of my current wants list.

Mark Thomas

Yep, mine too. Let's hope that it's the first of several CDs.

giles.enders

In reply to vicharris, Hyperion are not now recording the Hopekirk piano concerto.  Amy Beech's , will be coupled with Dorothy Howel's piano concerto and Cecile Chaminade's konzertstuck.  This was recorded some weeks ago.

Gareth Vaughan

That's a pity. The Howell piano concerto is good, but I would have preferred the Hopekirk. I hope they will record it at a later date, perhaps with Dora Bright's PC and Variations, which would be a good coupling.

dwshadle

Listened to the full disc of the Bristow this morning. Absolutely fantastic rendition of the symphony! Gutsy playing, brisk speeds, great timbral balance. Highly recommended.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Alan. Unfortunately the download facility isn't active yet, so there'll be more drumming of fingers in this household!

Paul Barasi

Sharkkb8

QuoteIt is now, Mark

Well, at least from where I sit (USA), clicking their link -  Download from iTunes! - on the New World Records listing produces this:

"Digital Download Unavailable
Sorry, but that album is not currently available on the iTunes Music Store."

Grrrr.

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

TerraEpon

So.....then the Chandos recording under Jarvi (Op. 26) is actually the third symphony? I'm guessing it's a typo on the CD's webpage (http://www.chandos.net/details06.asp?CNumber=CHAN%209169) -- the liner notes don't mention a number at all outside of being "the third in the series" in the text....a bit odd.

I really really like the samples of this new disc though, definetly goes onto the wishlist.

Alan Howe

This is Eric's listing from a previous thread:

#Op.10 in E-flat major (1846?-1848).
#Op.24 Jullien Sinfonia in D minor (1854).
#Op.26 in F-sharp minor (1858).
#Op.50 Arcadian (related to the Pioneer cantata Op.49. 1872, premiered 1874).
#Op.62 Niagara (1893, premiered 1898).

eschiss1

One of my main sources for that was http://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_George_Frederick_Bristow, the result, mostly, of a lot of (web) research on Cypressdome's part, if I recall. (Actually the list has more 1846?/1848 for Op.10, which doesn't imply worked-on-between 1846 and 1848, but more a matter of alternate dates, if I remember the terminology... and yes, for would-be editors and conductors and &c, links to locations of source materials, often mss, are provided where known.)

Alan Howe

My copy arrived from the USA today - thank you, Amazon! And it's an absolutely first-class CD - so well performed and conducted by the Royal Northern Sinfonia under Rebecca Miller in the attractive acoustic of The Sage, Gateshead up in the north-east of England.

A first audition confirms what I've long thought (ducks!!) - that Bristow is a much more interesting composer than his later contemporary, John Knowles Paine (whose music I invariably find outstays its welcome). Bristow seems to me the better tunesmith and has a greater feel for drama. Anyway, the CD is a must-buy - and a marvellous early Xmas present to myself!